how do i apply multiple materials to a wall?

slowrolls

Go to solution Solved by Alaskan_Son,

Ok this one has me completely stumped.  I attached 2 images for reference.

I have created an entry room with a high ceiling and the front corner of the room shares the wall with the garage which will have its own roofing and ceiling height.

the problem is the materials for the 2 pieces of wall inside of the garage that share the wall with the entry room (see second picture) is the exterior material (beige stucco) instead of drywall.  if i try to change that material to drywall, it makes the entire front exterior of the entry wall as dry wall which is not what i want.   

I had tried using break wall but that only lets me break vertically and not horizontally which is what i need i think.  any suggestions?

i'm on version X8

post-12128-0-12502500-1464149748_thumb.jpg

post-12128-0-06815600-1464149749_thumb.jpg

• Solution

There are at least 3 ways to deal with that just off the top of my head:

1. Break and resize that wall in elevation and add another section of no room definition wall to replace the section you resize.

2. Probably a better method...Use a pony wall with one desired wall type on top and the other on bottom, then break and resize in elevation.

3. Probably the best method...Simply apply a wall material region.

• Upvote 1

Assuming that both sections will have roofs over them, you should be able to add wall breaks and select "Lower Wall Type if Split by Butting Roof" on the Roof panel of the Wall Specification dialog.  This will allow you to have one wall type above the roof for the garage and a separate one below.

This is a feature that we put in the program specifically to address this use case with the least amount of work.

post-26-0-58454900-1464191652_thumb.png