Setting up annotation sets

capitaldesigns

I'm new to Chief, I'm using X-8.

I'm in the process of setting up annotation sets for my projects. I'm working on the electrical annotation set at the moment.

The question I have is regarding the kitchen cabinets. The upper cabinet hides what is below the cabinets. If I have appliances

below the cabinets they are hidden by the upper cabinets. Is there a way to have the appliances not be hidden by the upper

cabinets?

Also the lower cabinets counter top has a light salmon color fill which is o.k. for the floor plans. I would like to remove it for

the electrical annotation set. Is there a way to have the counter top fill color be removed for only the electrical annotation set?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,

Try making your upper cabinets semi-transparent this works for cabinets and when there are stacked appliances you can do the same thing with the 2D symbol block.

Not so sure there is an easy solution for the counter top but you could try making copies and putting them on separate layers if you are not concerned about you material list. I did not have time to test this one for you but give it a try if there are no other suggestions.

Good Luck, Chopsaw

Edit>Default Settings>Cabinets>Wall Cabinets

Then in the Wall Cabinet Defaults, click on "Fill Style" on the left.  You can make the fill either transparent, or change the transparency.

See attached...

post-237-0-95680800-1464099201_thumb.png

Chopsaw,

Where do you change the transparency of the upper cabinets ? I've looked in the wall cabinet specifications. I do not see anything regarding transparency.

Thanks,

Mike 

Fill Style tab.  You'll have to either change it in the defaults or select a Pattern>Type other than "Use Default" or "None".

post-46-0-88469500-1464099965_thumb.png

That worked. I was making the mistake of clicking on the cabinets itself and entering the cabinet specifications. 

Is there a way to change the transparency of the range hood ? I do not see anything under the default settings.

I clicked on the hood to open it's specification and see nothing regarding transperency.

Thanks,

Mike

That worked. I was making the mistake of clicking on the cabinets itself and entering the cabinet specifications. 

Is there a way to change the transparency of the range hood ? I do not see anything under the default settings.

I clicked on the hood to open it's specification and see nothing regarding transperency.

Thanks,

Mike

1,000 words...

post-46-0-31954700-1464103676_thumb.png

Great, that works. I just have to remember how each idem is changed. For cabinets go the the default settings, cabinets, fill style, then transparency. 

and you do not get there by click on the cabinet itself. For the hood, range, dishwasher, etc. you do click on the appliance then go to the bottom left

corner a click on open symbols, 2D block, then transparency,

Thanks for the help,

Mike

Great, that works. I just have to remember how each idem is changed. For cabinets go the the default settings, cabinets, fill style, then transparency.

and you do not get there by click on the cabinet itself. For the hood, range, dishwasher, etc. you do click on the appliance then go to the bottom left

corner a click on open symbols, 2D block, then transparency,

Thanks for the help,

Mike

That's not entirely correct, you don't have to go into default settings. You CAN simply click on the cabinet, change the desired settings and then click Set As Default (the little wrench icon).

When I click on the cabinet then go to fill style everything is grayed out. To make a change you have to change the pattern type to something other than default or none.

But doing that you are adding a hatch pattern to the cabinets which I do not want.

By default cabinets are already set to solid so setting the type to solid should be considered a non issue.

Michael & Jonathan, Thanks for all the help today as I was doing field work.

Am I advising correctly as for the countertops or is there an easier way?

I'm honestly not sure if there's an easier way. It's not something I've ever wanted or needed to do. Your solution is as good as any I can think of though. Biggest downside is that it's no longer completely live (i.e. if you change one countertop you have to change both).

By default cabinets are already set to solid so setting the type to solid should be considered a non issue.

It seems that this is necessary just to get away from the default so you can make custom adjustments. (Transparency in this case)

It seems that this is necessary just to get away from the default so you can make custom adjustments. (Transparency in this case)

Understood and agreed.  I was just trying to reassure Mike that there's no problem with changing the fill to solid that way he could avoid having to always make the change through default settings (which is really probably not a great idea in some cases).   

Michael,Yes now I understand.

Mike, Have to be up early tomorrow so I will be signing off and leaving you in the hands of two of the most capable West Coast Boys.

If the previous instructions are clear to you but will not work please post your plan and one of the two previously mentioned guys will help I am sure or I will check back with you in the morning.

Use of elevation views and schedules have made me less concerned about how cabinets look like in plan view. As a builder I used to try too hard making everything viewable from a floor plan only and I would avoid schedules and elevation views (was too ignorant or lazy).

I've evolved, thanks to Chief

Not sure if you are looking at this for working on or for printing?

I use some layersets for working only- such as wall cabinets are hidden, base cabinets are hidden- and variations. (I have most of these tied into annosets but that is another discussion)

May help with what you are after instead of changing defaults back and forth.

If I need to show cabinets in the printed electric plan I use a detail from view. (I have some layersets specific for those too).

After creating the detail from view you can select the cabinets and make those with "NO FILL" without affecting the defaults or other parts of the plan.

Block, put on layer and "paste in place" back into the electric plan.

I don't usually show counters or molding in electric plans but the same applies BUT I do like to see Crown molding when working on recessed lights to avoid conflict.