New Chief Architect 3D Viewer - for Mobile Devices

scottharris

Chief Architect has a new 3D Viewer product that is a virtual reality viewer on mobile devices for 3D models exported from Chief Architect software.  It is currently in Beta and expected to be released near the end of June.  The product will be a free app and run under Apple iOS and Android.

Here's a brief video showing our Breckenridge sample plan exported to the 3D Viewer

More information is on the website and under the announcement post.

post-14-0-67303500-1463931646_thumb.png

post-14-0-92579000-1463931669_thumb.png

post-14-0-49673500-1463931719_thumb.png

post-14-0-59636900-1463931749_thumb.png

• Upvote 1

Nice work.

Does this app access the complete feature set of Chief regarding viewing?  Such as, does it allow access to layer sets?  Can you open Layouts and open camera views of the model from Layout Boxes?  Inquiring minds...

Looks like a great app, and I have a hotel project I am modeling the framing for now and this looks like it has some real potential for providing information to the fab and install crews in the field.

Chief Architect team - Good Job!

Great news, looks like a winner!  Well done.

In addition to using it on mobile devices as the ipad, iphone android etc

will it be available to use from a PC computer.  Not every client has the mobile devices

but most will have access to a PC either at home, work or by using community libraries.

Having a PC link would also assist exchange of model files with consultants.

At present there are only two options, use SketchFab or Kubity (new software).

Preference would be to use Chief Architect 3d Viewer to keep the workflow as simple as possible.

Again, good to see Chief looking ahead, this will help all Chief Users, and now everyone

has a strong incentive to move up to Chief X8 if they have not already done so :)

Google is very soon (this summer supposedly) going to make all their android apps accessible from 2015 and newer chromebooks. There's your solution. An Asus Flip would be handy for a meeting at only $229 at Bestbuy.

...In addition to using it on mobile devices as the ipad, iphone android etc

will it be available to use from a PC computer.  Not every client has the mobile devices

but most will have access to a PC either at home, work or by using community libraries.

Having a PC link would also assist exchange of model files with consultants...

Looks interesting but, I can't see myself actually using it on a mobile device - ever.

Is there a link I can send a client so they can view it on their large screen PC or MAC monitor? Or is it strictly a mobile app?

If there's not a version for a PC or a MAC how and in what circumstances do you envision the app being useful? Should I bring my 5" phone to a client meeting? Should I review my plans on my 5" phone instead of my 32" monitor? Do I now need a new Chrome Book in order to view plans? Or an iPad? And who would bring an iPad to a client meeting to show a client their new home design? On an iPad? Really?

I'm a bit confused as to the intent of the app and need a little clarification on the purpose of its design and how we might use it real world. Thanks.

I also see that the product is being announced as a 3D Viewer product and a "Virtual Reality" viewer. Is it truly a virtual reality viewer and if so what VR device is it designed for? Occulus Rift? Google cardboard?

Or is it a 3D walk through app without Virtual Reality features? If there isn't any true VR capabilities should it be advertised as such? Curious.

Hello Everyone,

I have had a great opportunity to try the 3d viewer out in the field on a sales call and give some feedback to the engineering team @ chief. I can say that overall it was a nice tool to have. Here is the context in which I used/tested it:

Context of Test:

I went on a sales call to discuss adding a second floor dormer, or full 2nd floor addition. I brought with me a simplified proposal  plan set with some floor plans, renderings, cross sections of a Dormer project here in western Mass, the 3d viewer on my Ipad Air (Purchased 2 years ago). I loaded both versions of the proposed concept on my ipad both using a Wifi (comcast) and Celluar (verizon 4G LTE) with no problems.

Review:

Using X8, It was a very easy process of exporting the model out. Overall, I was pleased with export and "loading process" (Both Wifi, and Verizon Wireless from cloud) of getting the Model from Chief to 3d Viewer. No issues, no lag, no problems. Simple.

I was able to load an approximate 2,000 sqft home, including the 1/4 acre lot,driveway,walkway, and main road, I did not keep terrain features like trees in the models.

I didn't have alot of textures or objects loaded on the first floor due to the projects scope of work, second floor included wall tile, paint colors, floor some stock and some custom textures, furniture, fixtures, Cabinets, Specific roof framing (trusses)..etc.

During our 2 hour meeting, I was able to use the 3d viewer to supplement the plan set. It was easy to  discuss the headroom options on the second floor, overall flow,  and the benefits of both plans using the cross section slider in the viewer. Switching from one model to the other was easy, and allowed me a lot of flexibility that having just a paper plan set would not offer me.  Client was VERY responsive to the walk-through Sojourn application.  He was blown away as we stood at the top of the stairs and "virtually walked" through his dormer addition.

Although Graphically, I had some setbacks as far as the sheathing showing through the shingles, overall it was very nice to be able to open the model and show the couple what was going on. I had no really lag during rotations or walk-through. 

I would defiantly  say that this tool is a nice linebacker for sales tools. Its great at filling those gaps when clients ask questions about views or details that are not clearly demonstrated on a initial presentation plan set.  Nice not to have to have a laptop/surface on stand-bye, easier to move around with a simple model, flash between my prior portfolio of work and the viewer.

I would recommend everyone take a look at this, and see if it can be another tool in the box for you.

Hello Everyone,

I have had a great opportunity to try the 3d viewer out in the field on a sales call and give some feedback to the engineering team @ chief. I can say that overall it was a nice tool to have. Here is the context in which I used/tested it:

Context of Test:

I went on a sales call to discuss adding a second floor dormer, or full 2nd floor addition. I brought with me a simplified proposal  plan set with some floor plans, renderings, cross sections of a Dormer project here in western Mass, the 3d viewer on my Ipad Air (Purchased 2 years ago). I loaded both versions of the proposed concept on my ipad both using a Wifi (comcast) and Celluar (verizon 4G LTE) with no problems.

Review:

Using X8, It was a very easy process of exporting the model out. Overall, I was pleased with export and "loading process" (Both Wifi, and Verizon Wireless from cloud) of getting the Model from Chief to 3d Viewer. No issues, no lag, no problems. Simple.

I was able to load an approximate 2,000 sqft home, including the 1/4 acre lot,driveway,walkway, and main road, I did not keep terrain features like trees in the models.

I didn't have alot of textures or objects loaded on the first floor due to the projects scope of work, second floor included wall tile, paint colors, floor some stock and some custom textures, furniture, fixtures, Cabinets, Specific roof framing (trusses)..etc.

During our 2 hour meeting, I was able to use the 3d viewer to supplement the plan set. It was easy to  discuss the headroom options on the second floor, overall flow,  and the benefits of both plans using the cross section slider in the viewer. Switching from one model to the other was easy, and allowed me a lot of flexibility that having just a paper plan set would not offer me.  Client was VERY responsive to the walk-through Sojourn application.  He was blown away as we stood at the top of the stairs and "virtually walked" through his dormer addition.

Although Graphically, I had some setbacks as far as the sheathing showing through the shingles, overall it was very nice to be able to open the model and show the couple what was going on. I had no really lag during rotations or walk-through. 

I would defiantly  say that this tool is a nice linebacker for sales tools. Its great at filling those gaps when clients ask questions about views or details that are not clearly demonstrated on a initial presentation plan set.  Nice not to have to have a laptop/surface on stand-bye, easier to move around with a simple model, flash between my prior portfolio of work and the viewer.

I would recommend everyone take a look at this, and see if it can be another tool in the box for you.

Thanks VERY much for the hands on review Stephen, gives me a great context for real world usefulness for the app. It does seem like a large format mobile device is an integral part of the tool but sounds like you put it to very good and valuable use.

I'd still love to see VR capabilities right in Chief.

We've purchased the HTC Vive and are working with 3rd party software to get this capability, but if it could be integrated right through Chief (or even an app that Chief makes), I'd be PUUUUMPED.

Seeing this, though, makes me happy that it's on Chief's radar!  :D

• 4 weeks later...

I was excited about this coming out because of the ability to be able to take my ipad to client meetings.  Very disappointed to see that the app is not supported on my specific ipad or iphone 4.  Don't know why they couldn't have made it to work on all older devices as well.

I was excited about this coming out because of the ability to be able to take my ipad to client meetings.  Very disappointed to see that the app is not supported on my specific ipad or iphone 4.  Don't know why they couldn't have made it to work on all older devices as well.

Try skecthfab it just needs a web browser https://sketchfab.com/

I tried this 3D viewer out on my iPad Mini 2, which is listed in the app store as a compatible device. When starting the app, I get a message: "Notice. This device does not meet 3D Viewer's minimum memory requirements. We recommend running the app on a newer device."   Oh, okay, then I'll rush out right now and get a new tablet just so I can run your app. Please figure out which devices actually work, and skip the message. (The app ran just fine, BTW.) I find this to be is an incredibly obnoxious warning message, and one I would not want a client to see.

Chief Architect has a new 3D Viewer product that is a virtual reality viewer on mobile devices for 3D models exported from Chief Architect software.  It is currently in Beta and expected to be released near the end of June.  The product will be a free app and run under Apple iOS and Android.

Here's a brief video showing our Breckenridge sample plan exported to the 3D Viewer

More information is on the website and under the announcement post.

I tried this 3D viewer out on my iPad Mini 2, which is listed in the app store as a compatible device. When starting the app, I get a message: "Notice. This device does not meet 3D Viewer's minimum memory requirements. We recommend running the app on a newer device."   Oh, okay, then I'll rush out right now and get a new tablet just so I can run your app. Please figure out which devices actually work, and skip the message. (The app ran just fine, BTW.) I find this to be is an incredibly obnoxious warning message, and one I would not want a client to see.

Richard, I have an Iphone 6 Plus 128 GB and get the same error message...

post-58-0-53402100-1466323955_thumb.png

post-58-0-95654000-1466323961_thumb.png