Layer not showing in "Layer Display Options" box

drkaia

I have a layer issues that I don't know how to fix or even how it happened.

I created some layers called Cad 2, Cad 4, Cad 6 and so on. The one I made for "Cad 10" does not show up in my "Layers Dialogue Box" but when I try to add it, the program tells me it already exists and won't let me add it.

I'm not sure why it's not showing up but it's not.

A sample file with the issue is attached if anyone would like to investigate.

Thanks

Layer Cad 10.plan

I created some layers called Cad 2, Cad 4, Cad 6 and so on. The one I made for "Cad 10" does not show up in my "Layers Dialogue Box" but when I try to add it, the program tells me it already exists and won't let me add it.

Thanks

Everything seems to show up and is working the way it should on my system.

I put in a few can lines and put them on cad 10 and cad two and it seems to be fine.

Strange!

While trying to work it out I found a couple of other "Layer Set" issues.

If I switch my layer set to the CAD set, "Cad 10 " will show up. If I draw some lines with that layer, when I go back to my "Architectural Set" the lines are still there, CAD 10 is not in my Layers list and the lines are now on Layer CAD 12. If I go back to the Cad Set, the lines are back on Cad 10.

Not sure what's going on there either.

Also If I go to my "Site Plan Set" my title block layer turns off. If i try to turn it back on in the Layers Dialogue it shows that that layer is not used.

I'm on a Mac Pro. Do you think it could be something related to the Mac Version?

If you have an object selected that is on a different layer than mentioned, and you are only seeing the "active" layers pertaining to that object, then deselect the object and your other layers should show in the full or expanded layer display options table.  That's just a guess ... I haven't opened your plan but seems like the most obvious reason you can't see the new CAD layers.

That's not the problem.

When I have all the layers showing in the "Active Layers Dialogue" or the "Layer Display Options", not just he active layers, that layer is missing from the list in some of my layer sets but there in others.

If I try to add it to one of the sets that it doesn't appear in, I get a message that it already exists even though it is not on the list.

I thought all layers should be visible in the list of every "Set" just different properties and on/off settings to get the views you want. I'm getting some layers visible in the list of some sets and not in others.

Thanks

I have not looked at your plan, I did want to let you know I have experienced that too on a recent plan. I have not figured it out.

That does seem to be quite unusual as "I thought" once you created a new layer, that it showed up in all layer sets.  If you have SSA, I would send your plan in to Tech Support and see what they say.

Out of curiosity, I selected your CAD layer set and drew a CAD line.  You have defined CAD lines to go on the Text layer.  Was that on purpose? 

Maybe you need to scrap that plan and start over?  You haven't done much with Anno sets so it shouldn't take you too much time to retry (redo) your layer sets.I think the gremlins are working behind the scene messing things up for you.

I have not looked at your plan but I suspect that you have different layer names in different layer sets.

This is technically a "feature" of the program.  I don't think it is a very good feature though and it allows people to get into a state where the program is very confusing.  At least one power user has reported this as a bug several times even after we have explained what is going on here.

The only way that I know of to get into this situation is to go into your Preferences under Layers and turn off "Modify Name in All Layer Sets".  (Note that this is not the "Modify All Layers" checkbox in the Layer Display Options dialog).  Please go into your preferences and make sure this option is checked and never uncheck it. 

It is possible that there is some other way of getting your layer names messed up.  I have no way of knowing for sure but every user that has ever reported this problem has sworn that their preference was never changed.  There may be a bug somewhere that we haven't been able to find.  If anyone can figure out a way to get into this state without modifying the preference, then please report this to technical support so we can investigate further.

The good news about this is that we are planning on removing this "feature" in X9.

As for dealing with your messed up layers in your plan, I recommend first making sure your preference is set correct and then deleting any layer sets that have the messed up names.  If most of your layer sets are messed up, then I would just copy your plan to a new file using Edit Area and toss the one with the messed up layer sets.  You should not import any layer sets or annotation sets from this plan into any other plans.  You should not reuse this plan using the "save as method" because this will just bring any layer problems forward.  If you have somehow gotten any of your template plans in this state, I would recommend deleting them and starting with clean ones.

If all else fails, then please contact technical support for additional help during our regular business hours.

I spent some time looking into the attached plan.  It has different layer names in different layer sets.

The easiest way for you to tell this is to open the layer display options dialog, select any layer (such as "Cad 10"), and then look at every other layer set.  You can do this using the arrow key while the Layer Set drop down box has the focus.  As you change layer sets, you will see that the layer name is either "Cad 10" or "Site  Notes".  It's not a problem in just one or two layer sets either because it looks like about half use one name and half use another.  To make things even more confusing, there is another layer called "Site Notes 3" that is also called "Site Notes" in some layer sets. 

The bottom line is that the layer names are seriously messed up.  I have no idea how it got in this state but I would not try and straighten these names out.  I would abandon this plan and maybe use Edit Area to copy anything important to a brand new plan.  I would also recommend that you check your template plans for messed up layer names.

And again, if you need more help, I would recommend that you contact technical support.

Dermot,

Does this vid change your assessment in any way, or does it reinforce your explanation?

http://screencast.com/t/qoj5l4neESij

Thanks for the vid Glenn.  I have never experienced this (in a long time) except for a recent project.  I hope CA can get to the bottom of this and figure out a way to prevent this from happening again.  

• 3 weeks later...

I am having the same problem. I have a lot of my notes for different floor plans saved as blocks. When I am working on a new floor plan I bring that block into the new job and just move all the notes to the correct spot. Is this similar to what you do? If you do something similar, maybe the issue is with the block. My blocks were created in x7, maybe that is the issue. I have never unchecked the "modify name in all layer sets" box. I did not even know it existed.

The other thing I do that brings information from one job to the next is use Annotation Sets and Layer Sets. I update these sets on a semi-regular basis, so if I am working on an older job I will import the new Annotation Sets and Layer Sets to the new job. Maybe that is triggering something??

I have not been able to create the problem by loading blocks, annotation sets or layer sets, as I have described above, But the I only ever notice the issue after I have done all of those things. It doesn't appear to be an issue with the template that I use. I save two different files for every job. A "preliminary" file and a "final" file. I don't use blocks, or update the annotation sets & layer sets in the "preliminary" file. I always do that for the "final" file. I only seem to have this issue with the "final" file.

Not sure if my input helps anything, but if other users work in a similar fashion, and are experiencing the same issue, maybe that is the place to look???

As it turns out I've been using and updating that template since version 10 so I guess some issues should be expected

I ran this one by the SSA team and their recommendation was to abandon the old template. They suggested I start over.

It was quite time consuming. I used one of the sample plans from X8 to begin with then recreated all my wall types, layer sets and annotation sets from scratch so that I wouldn't accidentally import any of the old problems. Not looking forward to doing that again on future upgrades. Maybe I'll wait for another half dozen upgrades before I need to worry about it.

I took the opportunity to fine tune my Layer and Annotation Sets and everything is working well now.

The end result is much more efficient than before.

• Upvote 1