Need additional architectural functionality

dadofthomas

Hi,

I am new to CA, and I am testing it with a house remodel. I am also migrating from Revit, so I am comparing the two software. So far I am really enjoying how 'user-friendly' CA is, but I am running into some architectural 'functionality' issues. I spoke with the tech people, and I am hoping with enough demand, the coding folks can make it happen.

If anyone here knows of ways to solve the following problems, please share.

1. The ability to create partial plans with independant layers control. There are detail things that should be on the 1/2" plan and not the 1/4" plan. Small dimensions and details otherwise will make the 1/4" plan unreadable. Tech suggested controlling with layers, shooting 1/2" scale images of my partial plans, and manually update. Very cumbersome.

2. Combining all four interior elevations symbols into 1. Imagine 4 interior elevation symbols in every room at 1/4" scale, the floor plan becomes unreadable. Revit has the simple option of turning the symbols into 1,2,3, or 4 sides. I am surprised this is not available. Tech showed me how to turn a callout into multiple sides, but they can't replace the actual wall elevation cameras.

Philip Han

1-look into annotation sets combined with layersets. A bit to learn, worthwhile. Yoda or someone will add more.

2-layerset(s) for working, has the camera layer on. Another layerset to send to layout with cameras hidden and layer of the 4 way callout(s) showing.

Thanks Mark!

I followed your advice and created layer sets. Suddenly I realized this is very similar to CAD, creating layers and text sizes for the drawings to 'read'. I must say I've been spoiled by Revit because it automatically sets everything up, so I haven't had to create the individual sets.

The layersets are great functionality but the Annotation set is where you can set up to get your 1/2" scale plan to behave properly. Each unique annotation set only takes a few minutes to set up and then you can save them to open with every plan loaded with the annotation and layersets. By setting up unique layersets and annotation sets you can easily jump to your partial plan (or have a majority of the items locked) so you can navigate quickly and efficiently.

As an example, the layerset I have for creating electrical plans has the cabinets, rooms, walls, fixtures, windows and doors on locked layers. Therefore, as I click in to grab a can light above a counter top I get the can light the first time.

• Upvote 3

...As an example, the layerset I have for creating electrical plans has the cabinets, rooms, walls, fixtures, windows and doors on locked layers. Therefore, as I click in to grab a can light above a counter top I get the can light the first time.

This is a very good tip Alan.