Power Users Preventing Needed Changes in Chief

KevinWaldron

Why is that ?

I think because some people misunderstand promoting good/efficient design with "over-complication".  The reason i suggested that Chief Architect actually get an architect on staff is because I feel that perspective could be very useful to Chief.

That's very funny! Had to watch it twice. It probably won't escape the observation of the more astute among us that the architect being featured is English. Hmmmm.

He does make a valid point comparing a chook shed with a cathedral.

Lets face it we all take ourselves a little bit too seriously at times. The video was a lovely comedy breeze blowing over a parched landscape.

I reviewed the X8 release video. There were many items that were recognised from discussion on suggestions forum and beta release group forum prior to and during the beta x8.

The road to change will be more effective on the suggestions forum. That is where issues can be discussed with a view to improving the functionality and introducing new features.

One of my favourite gripes is the roof framing limitations. This is an area that needs attention. Simple roof battens and purlins sitting on top of the rafter. !!!! I have my workaround which is code for - just more work than is really needed.

I crashed X8 with a legacy plan! I think the plan was the problem because I can't reproduce the crash and I edited and rebuilt some elements.

So maybe X8 is not perfect or maybe my legacy plan was the problem - don't know.

What I do know is Chief listened to the user group on the suggestions forum and engaged  with the posters asking questions not just offering work arounds. 

...as a contractor I have just as many customer stories.

Over the past few years customers are getting quite comfortable and savvy at shaking down their contractor.

regular wise guys

I think, however it's more common in larger metropolitan areas. The public is way two sly.

But, of course since television is geared towards the viewing public it's always that incompetent crooked contractor story we hear, never the customer who is weasling their way out of paying full price.

The original poster seems to be saying that unless we all lite torches and storm the offices at Couer d' Alene that we are being counter productive to the forward advance of Chief Architect software. Ridiculous! 

This forum is for help now with Chief Architect Inc software within what it is capable of now, not some airy fairy utopian future, now.

That means workarounds or clever procedures now, not later but now.

What gets added or fixed is directly effected by our feature requests, communications, suggestions and bug reports not by some magical process unknown to man.

Perhaps the original poster is suggesting the promotion of other software as a "solution" to Chief Architect problems. Anyone is welcome to promote whatever they wish but not to use that as a way to imply that Power Users or Chief Architect Inc have ulterior motives or evil intentions.

This thread and its underlying premise is BS. 

DJP

• Upvote 1

This forum is alive and well. The original post was borne of frustration. " Let the first among us without frustration cast the first stone" Kevin does add at a later date some of the issues that cause him grief. Legitimate issues. When someone criticizes Chief and it looks a bit like a rant - the defenders rise up.

I would like Kevin to open a thread on the suggestions forum about some of his issues. 

Post #36

"1)Plot plans Surveying units and radius's and topological points are one of the areas that is in great need of change and upgrades..... Many programs can blanket topo's data like a sheet/drape and produce accurate representations of many survey points quickly and accurately at any give depth or Z height quickly and accurately. 2)3D solid modeling tools are long over due for new tools and upgrades. Adding Mesh manipulation with various tools should also be included.Twist, Blend, Boolean,Taper, Stretch, Flow along a curve, Flow along a surface 3)Layers in my opinion is another area where more

options and flexibility are needed....... annotations sets and layer sets are great but limited in so many ways. 4)Text manipulation and scaling is in great need of upgrades 5) Database access is a must not only for users but also for 3rd party programs that could open direct access to Chief and open new programs that would aid in all kinds of area's 6) More adherence to code standards in regards to framing and other fields etc....... several more but enough

​These are great topics to discuss. Very legitimate subjects. It's discussion that investigates and probes the limits and having many voices casting light into dark corners is - well 'enlightenment' !!!!    :wub: 

The original poster seems to be saying that unless we all lite torches and storm the offices at Couer d' Alene that we are being counter productive to the forward advance of Chief Architect software. Ridiculous! 

This forum is for help now with Chief Architect Inc software within what it is capable of now, not some airy fairy utopian future, now.

That means workarounds or clever procedures now, not later but now.

What gets added or fixed is directly effected by our feature requests, communications, suggestions and bug reports not by some magical process unknown to man.

Perhaps the original poster is suggesting the promotion of other software as a "solution" to Chief Architect problems. Anyone is welcome to promote whatever they wish but not to use that as a way to imply that Power Users or Chief Architect Inc have ulterior motives or evil intentions.

This thread and its underlying premise is BS. 

DJP

Agree David - I mentioned in my post #51 that it appears the OP has an "Axe to Grind". I Also believe that there are some who unfortunately think that sophisticated software will be inherently easy to understand and not require any learning. I for one have yet to find such a program. This is not an excuse to be complacent but I believe Chief has done a decent job at automating a wide range of functions. Are they perfect, not always, but given the complexity of such an undertaking one really has to give credit where credit is due.

What may appear to be a simple operation, such as build a roof, is likely an extremely complicated thing to program. For it to function properly it requires that the underlying structure be 100% correct. This correctness not only relates to wall heights, connections and angles, but also that the underlying structure is such that given the automated roof function built-in parameters a roof can be properly configured. The user defines and controls this, Chief just tries to build the roof as best it can based upon what you give it.

"Garbage in, Garbage out". I like to hear about any program that does not function on this premise.

Graham

The reason i suggested that Chief Architect actually get an architect on staff is because I feel that perspective could be very useful to Chief.

If the "right" Architect had been on staff all these years I have no doubt the software would look and function much differently and for the better.  Of course that leader would need to have final decision making authority.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Maybe this thread was born out of frustration,  but to blame power users for retarding improvements in the program is nutty.

It's the power users who are the most vocal when it comes to improving the program.

However, the power users are guilty of trying to find solutions with the inconsistencies with the program.  Hey power users,  stop trying to help with alternant solutions.  

Ok Scott, then I guess it can't be done and everyone is out of luck.

Here is another one,  note the vertical shadow to the left of w(02).  What is causing the shadow? Well,  yesterday there was an 8" pop-out/architectural projection  that caused the shadow.  Zoning required I delete the  pop-out,  I did,  do you see a vertical line?  No.  I had updated the elevation,  the shadow stayed,  the architectural projection was gone.  I missed the remaining shadow before I printed plans.  I just got off the phone with the plan checker,  she picked  it up,  I assured her that I eliminated the projection,  she was nice enough to believe me and so I will get my permit.

Otherwise it was a minimum of x amount of dollars to reprint,  redeliver,  meet again with plan checker blah blah blah....  I have now reopened and it is okay,  but you can see by the picture that something is awry.  There is no vertical wall edge to cause the shadow,  yet it is there.

I am getting very frustrated with this type of stuff.

post-50-0-40040400-1465249350_thumb.png

and know how to code

Mark:

no, the architect would not need to know coding

specs are laid out - programmers code - results are matched to specs

I spent 30 years as a systems analyst/programmer

Lew

Here is another one,  note the vertical shadow to the left of w(02).  What is causing the shadow? Well,  yesterday there was an 8" pop-out/architectural projection  that caused the shadow.  Zoning required I delete the  pop-out,  I did,  do you see a vertical line?  No.  I had updated the elevation,  the shadow stayed,  the architectural projection was gone.  I missed the remaining shadow before I printed plans.  I just got off the phone with the plan checker,  she picked  it up,  I assured her that I eliminated the projection,  she was nice enough to believe me and so I will get my permit.

Otherwise it was a minimum of x amount of dollars to reprint,  redeliver,  meet again with plan checker blah blah blah....  I have now reopened and it is okay,  but you can see by the picture that something is awry.  There is no vertical wall edge to cause the shadow,  yet it is there.

I am getting very frustrated with this type of stuff.

Scott are you using always update or update on demand? Sometimes I find that I have to actually open the view and close again( not always) to get the view correct.

If the "right" Architect had been on staff

I'd really like to see a discussion to define "The Right Architect" or the right Builder, Contractor, Interior Designer or Decorator. Everyone will have a differing opinion as to how the software should look, feel and function. There is no Holy Grail.

Personally, I suspect that of Chief Architects user base Professional Designated Architects do not represent the majority. Regardless of this there are several who do  participate in this forum and they definitely provide extremely high valued input & guidance. In fact I don't here them griping all the time, suspect they roll-up-their-sleeves and are able to figure most things out on their own.

Graham

The company would have to choose the best candidate.  Then put them in charge and see what the industry thinks.  Let the customers decide.

That's not very definitive. Any ways the customers are already speaking through this forum so what's the difference. As far as the industry is concerned they only have to look at the customer base of other competing software, go read their forums and you will most likely see what they like and dislike. Also, there is a cost consideration to all of this, given Chiefs features and flexibility I really doubt you could find a better valued package that serves such a wide range of users.

Graham

I've just always wondered why a product called Chief Architect doesn't have an actual Architect on staff.  I won't bore you with all my suggestions but will say that I wish I could Mary Revit Building functionality with Chief interior design strengths.

You do not see many companies hiring or schools teaching this app.  That is the market I think is getting missed?

I would actually prefer an experienced builder over an 'architect' on staff. I never liked building from an 'Architects' set of drawings. I'm putting 'quotes' around the word 'architect' because I've met many who have never driven a nail or cut a 2 x 4 and draw details that can't be built, or can't be built efficiently, and draw plans that don't match any real world construction. I would want them no where near the plans I want to actually build from. Builders like to build from my plans because I actually 'built' and I can draw a detail that really works in the field.

Now all you 'Architects' out there don't get your panties in a bunch. I imagine there are a few good ones that actually know how a building goes together - maybe Chief could hire one of those.

I've just always wondered why a product called Chief Architect doesn't have an actual Architect on staff.  I won't bore you with all my suggestions but will say that I wish I could Mary Revit Building functionality with Chief interior design strengths.

You do not see many companies hiring or schools teaching this app.  That is the market I think is getting missed?

I believe you may have touched on an interesting point, the market for Chief. Not sure they could ever penetrate the major Architectural firms, they have way to much money and time vested in software such as AutoCAD. This market was secured back in the 80's when CAD systems were first being adopted by the industry. My sense is that Chief's market lies within the small independents who need a reasonable priced package that they can get up and run with without extensive training that can serve a wide range of purposes. Let's be fair, it's not really that difficult to build a complete house including fixtures and landscaping, material schedules, plan sets and renderings, all for about $2,400.

I am not aware of any other package that can do all of this for that amount of expenditure.

Graham