Issues with exporting elevation views?

clfrycreative

Since changing to X8, I can't get anything to export when I try to export an elevation to 2D DWG. Floor plans still work fine... but when I try to export an elevation view and open the drawing in AutoCAD, there is nothing there. The CAD layer is set to black, so I thought that might be the issue, but when I changed the color, the drawing contains nothing. The settings all appear to be the same that I used in X7... I've tried playing with the settings with no change, including different DWG formats... Is there a new setting or nuance in X8 that I'm missing? Anyone else have similar issues?

I don't know what the problem is - but why are you exporting elevations to AutoCAD?

Right now that's the best and fastest way for my creativity to flow for prelim exploration; it's infinitely flexible and I don't have to deal with work-arounds, etc (my designs tend to be non-traditional). Chief may be capable of such for proficient, seasoned users, but in my busy season, I'm finding don't have time to commit to learning. I also use AutoCAD for the final drawings; much cleaner and any CAD work is more efficient, plus my colleagues, trades, etc can use my layouts etc.

I did have a little bit of a break-through... in the "layer set" selection, if I select "default" or "all", the windows show, but there still aren't any walls or anything else...

BTW, I'm trying to export the "vector view".

CAD detail from view, then export.

Jim, how do you do this? It sounded like something I could figure out quickly, but I don see any obvious way to make a CAD block from the view.

LOL, I could have just drawn the whole elevation from scratch in AutoCAD by now. May still have to.

Not to sound flippant....but isn't exporting a 3D model to 2D Autowhatever the ultimate workaround?

Perhaps, but as an "Autowhatever" user of 23 years, it's the way that I know right now and can get done today, and as I stated before, it's infinitely flexible and Chief is not, by design. Also, I'm not converting a 3D model to 2D, I'm exporting a 2D view to a 2D drawing file.

In the CAD menu in the toolbar, there is a dropdown with the option of " Cad detail from view". When I started out, I had plans that were some CA and some ACAD sheets using the same border and title block. 85% of drafting is editing and annotation and ACAD excels at that. All of my designs originate in Chief for the builder and owner. The Construction Documents are all 2D cad converted from CA. Personal preference. CA is an invaluable tool for me, but I do have more than one hammer in my bucket. 

• Upvote 1

In the CAD menu in the toolbar, there is a dropdown with the option of " Cad detail from view". When I started out, I had plans that were some CA and some ACAD sheets using the same border and title block. 85% of drafting is editing and annotation and ACAD excels at that. All of my designs originate in Chief for the builder and owner. The Construction Documents are all 2D cad converted from CA. Personal preference. CA is an invaluable tool for me, but I do have more than one hammer in my bucket. 

Yep, we are on the same page. Right now it is just not practical (or necessary) for me to try to use CA for everything. BTW, "Cad detail from view" worked perfectly, so at least I can move on for now. In fact, I'm not sure this isn't a better option anyway, but it still bothers me that something that used to work no longer does...

It probably isn't working because X8 introduced "Live Views" for Elevations and Sections sent to Layout.  I suspect that the export isn't using the "Plot Lines" that it used to.  This is probably an unforeseen side effect of this feature of X8.

I just tested exporting an elevation to dwg, no problem. I see no change in behavior with this (still too many overlapping lines)

I always use a few versions back for safety, no problem. I use TCad not Acad and always have to click to view extents.

Since changing to X8, I can't get anything to export when I try to export an elevation to 2D DWG. Floor plans still work fine... but when I try to export an elevation view and open the drawing in AutoCAD, there is nothing there. The CAD layer is set to black, so I thought that might be the issue, but when I changed the color, the drawing contains nothing. The settings all appear to be the same that I used in X7... I've tried playing with the settings with no change, including different DWG formats... Is there a new setting or nuance in X8 that I'm missing? Anyone else have similar issues?

How EXACTLY are you exporting the DWG?

Just got back to the computer and tested out on my system.  I have no problem whatsoever exporting and opening DWG's created using an elevation view.  I suspect its something you're doing differently during you export process (Export Current View vs. Export 3D model or one of your export settings).

Just got back to the computer and tested out on my system.  I have no problem whatsoever exporting and opening DWG's created using an elevation view.  I suspect its something you're doing differently during you export process (Export Current View vs. Export 3D model or one of your export settings).

Doing it exactly as I frequently did in the past; Cross Section /Elevation (vector view) ->shift+f4 (or Export->Export Current View)->Export (using default settings). There is nothing in the drawing. As stated, I also tried different layer sets, 3 of which exported the windows only. Exporting the vector view as a CAD detail worked. I tried it with floor plans and they export fine, although, once in ACAD, I have to modify the layers and set them to "bylayer" for them to show (many are set to black), but at least they are there.

Here is a file I exported and opened, see if it works for you in ACAD.

Thanks, It worked, assuming I'm seeing everything... see screen shot attached.

post-9370-0-59978200-1463603005_thumb.jpg

• 5 years later...
On 5/17/2016 at 1:05 PM, Joe_Carrick said:

I don't know what the problem is - but why are you exporting elevations to AutoCAD?

FYI, some of us use outside engineers, especially on commercial buildings, and need to convert our building sections, floor plans, etc. to .dwg files for their use.

18 minutes ago, rfantclt said:

FYI, some of us use outside engineers, especially on commercial buildings, and need to convert our building sections, floor plans, etc. to .dwg files for their use.

Not sure that you are aware that this forum is 5 years old.  However I believe what Joe was talking about was that when you send to your engineer you typically will do that from layout so that all the elevations and info are on the same page in the dwg file.  Instead of sending a single elevation.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

34 minutes ago, rgardner said:

Not sure that you are aware that this forum is 5 years old.  However I believe what Joe was talking about was that when you send to your engineer you typically will do that from layout so that all the elevations and info are on the same page in the dwg file.  Instead of sending a single elevation.

Thanks - I did realize that it was an older post but suggesting detail from CAD view was what I (thought I) needed. No doubt I still don't understand CA so let me ask: are you saying I can export layout sheets to .dwg and the engineers would be able to use individual building sections, etc. as a 2D true-dimensions CAD file?

4 hours ago, rfantclt said:

Thanks - I did realize that it was an older post but suggesting detail from CAD view was what I (thought I) needed. No doubt I still don't understand CA so let me ask: are you saying I can export layout sheets to .dwg and the engineers would be able to use individual building sections, etc. as a 2D true-dimensions CAD file?

yes

• 4 weeks later...