Missing files and textures when backup is made of layouts. Version 8, very tempermental.

zowie123

Hi, 

Anyone else find Version 8 more temperamental than prior versions when it comes to backing up and saving files?  

We create a lot of different files and share them, but always use layout backup from one computer to another.  

No matter how careful we are, we loose textures along the way.  I called Chief, they deny it's any different V7, but I've never had this issue with V.7.

Just wondering if anyone else experiences a higher rate of loosing connection with textures.

Thanks for considering,

Barry

Anyone else find Version 8 more temperamental than prior versions when it comes to backing up and saving files?  

No

You have to do a Full plan back up including the layout file AND if any image files or other files not specifically connected to the plan file or files they must be manually included OR embedded into the layout file and plan file, this has been true since Version 4 and is still true. Any other file attachments should be put in a CAD Detail Window before sending to layout, that way that type of file (PDF or image) will be sure to be included when transferring files using full plan back up.

DJP

Weird...I responded earlier but must have forgot to click "post". My question...

Are you using backup entire plan (which puts plan and all textures into a single folder)? If not, you're aren't transferring any textures. It might just be that your texture discrepancies between machines is growing larger so it feels like X8 has gotten worse when in fact you may not have been backing up plan correctly all along. Just a guess.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, all plans layouts and textures included and zipped.  Sometimes textures are missing when I open a file the second time after zipping and moving. There's something very different from 7 to 8.  I do the same thing I've always done and I've only had this issue in 8.  

I had some misplaced textures transferring -not sure if it was computer to computer or X7 to 8- in any case taking a 3d view before I "backup entire plan" lets me know if they are there or moved ahead of time. Might solve it.