Migrating your own custom plan and layout templates

Designers_Edge

I have modified and created my own custom plans for my kitchen & bath projects-traditional, transitional,& contemporary, selecting door styles, crown etc.

In Chief's migration guides, they always seem to discourage migrating your custom plan and layout templates.

"For best results, it is recommended that your either:

Use the installed templates as the basis for creating new plan and layout files in Chief Architect X ......"

Use the installed templates as the basis for creating new custom templates"

I certainly DO NOT want to have to set up a new custom layout file every year.

I understand that if you are still using stuff from X1 that may be a problem and I just redid things in X6. Has anyone encountered problems migrating their custom templates forward from year to year?  Just wondering if one is asking for trouble with file corruptions etc?

Thanks for your insight!

I have modified and created my own custom plans for my kitchen & bath projects-traditional, transitional,& contemporary, selecting door styles, crown etc.

In Chief's migration guides, they always seem to discourage migrating your custom plan and layout templates.

"For best results, it is recommended that your either:

Use the installed templates as the basis for creating new plan and layout files in Chief Architect X ......"

Use the installed templates as the basis for creating new custom templates"

I certainly DO NOT want to have to set up a new custom layout file every year.

I understand that if you are still using stuff from X1 that may be a problem and I just redid things in X6. Has anyone encountered problems migrating their custom templates forward from year to year?  Just wondering if one is asking for trouble with file corruptions etc?

Thanks for your insight!

Chief is probably being very conservative with their guidelines to prevent any data loss etc. but having typed that, I've never had a problem migrating older templates and haven't heard of any problems but I think Graeme's advice is probably the best, every couple or 3 years one should probably create a new template(s) from Chief's installed templates. Personally I've never done that but I can be pretty lazy sometimes.

You can always open the X7 template in X7, then open the X8 profile layout in X8 and just copy the data on those pages over to X8.

That won't load all macros, wall types, layer sets, annosets, etc.

To get all of that you would need to do the export/import dance.  I just always open my prior version templates in the new version and save them in the new version template folders.  I've been doing it this way for over 10 years and have never had a problem.

At the UGM they indicated the issue was with file size growing. We had just done a bunch of plan templates for various cabinet brands in X7. I imported the defaults and made a few adjustments for X8. I just moved the layout templates over, maybe next time.