creating an angled window

PeterQB

I cant for the life of me get the window to break at the bottom and then angle up. Best I could do was a symbol, but in my opinion it is a poor substitute. Anyone care to actually make a real window do this so I know its actually possible?post-5727-0-92979800-1463412674_thumb.png

I cant for the life of me get the window to break at the bottom and then angle up. Best I could do was a symbol, but in my opinion it is a poor substitute. Anyone care to actually make a real window do this so I know its actually possible?attachicon.gifWindow symbol.png

I believe you are correct.  You can change the top,  but you cannot change the bottom.  Why not?  I believe it was an oversight by CA.  It is a shame,  I have reported this before,  still no ability to do this.  Maybe  if more users reported this,  it just might be a possibility.

I started to make a video and then found that I would have to eat my earlier words. This should be submitted as a "Feature Request" because it is needed, I can think of some convoluted workarounds to get this done but the point is, they need to add some additional input box controls in the shape tab so this can be done using that dialog.

DJP

PS: Feature Request submitted

It depends on what will pass for "actually possible"

This is about as close as I can come. It displays OK in

Standard View but looks pretty crappy in Vector View.

Assuming I know what you're doing (which I'm pretty sure I do)...

One of the quick solutions I've found that works pretty well to "patch" things like that (or other odd problematic wall joints and extraneous lines) is to first create a wall material region that covers the entire wall.  That alone will often alleviate the extraneous lines in many situations, but in your situation you'll probably have to go to step 2...Convert to Plain Polyline and then Convert to Polyline Solid.  This is a very fast way to create a polyline solid shaped perfectly to cover your wall.  This way you can reshape it to fit around your custom window (and get rid of the other patches you likely had to use. 

Depending on the situation, you may also want to adjust your wall definition to accommodate the extra polyline solid and/or adjust the window settings to accommodate the same.

You can also explore using multiple single layer walls instead of one solid wall.

Anyway, just a few ideas I've used that I thought I'd throw out there. 

It depends on what will pass for "actually possible"

This is about as close as I can come. It displays OK in

Standard View but looks pretty crappy in Vector View.

I should of been clearer with the limitations.  Can you build the window on the left but "INVERTED/UPSIDE DOWN".  

By looking at the dbx,  the OFFSET for the bottom corners is missing whereas there is an OFFSET for the top inside corners.

post-50-0-71192900-1463484542_thumb.png

The window shape dialog does not seem to give me the option to create a fixed glass window in the shape of the dotted line. Any ideas here?

i have not posted in a long time, forgive me if my uploaded picture is not added correctly

I apologize,  I did not look at your picture.  In most #8,  Rich showed it can be done.  In post #11 I showed what cannot be done easily.  In post #11 I showed how you can alter a point along the top of the window,  BUT YOU CANNOT ALTER A POINT ALONG THE BOTTOM OF THE WINDOW.  

I'm curious, when did the spirit of this forum change from, "Here's what I did to help your situation and here's how I did it, hope that helps you get your plan finished and out the door" to "Look I can do it, Oh yeah, me too, hope you can guess how, because I'm not going to tell you?"

I'm curious, when did the spirit of this forum change from, "Here's what I did to help your situation and here's how I did it, hope that helps you get your plan finished and out the door" to "Look I can do it, Oh yeah, me too, hope you can guess how, because I'm not going to tell you?"

Hi Larry,  I remember back in the day,  there was a lot of that.  I do not think there is so much of that anymore.  Was there a particular issue that was not clear to you?

Thanks Scott, I was sorta thinking about this thread. One poster showed he could do it, but not how. Then another poster claimed it was easy peasy with still no clues as to how. I assume the OP found a way to get it done, but I for one would like to learn how, if possible. Thanks again.

Thanks Scott, I was sorta thinking about this thread. One poster showed he could do it, but not how. Then another poster claimed it was easy peasy with still no clues as to how. I assume the OP found a way to get it done, but I for one would like to learn how, if possible. Thanks again.

I guess the easy peasy comment was directed at me,   I did post a pic in post #11  showing the dbx I used to get the job done,  but if that was not enough info,  here is a vid.

https://youtu.be/BNV0q6rp6T8

One of the reasons I do fewer videos,  it seems to be a crapshoot whether is gets posted

I guess the easy peasy comment was directed at me,   I did post a pic in post #11  showing the dbx I used to get the job done,  but if that was not enough info,  here is a vid.

https://youtu.be/5BlH_geDwys

Well you know how thick I can be and I just didn't see the same window shape as the OP was looking for in that post #11.

I'll wait for the video to cook and thanks as always for your help. 

BTW Video says

This video is a duplicate of a previously uploaded video.

https://youtu.be/5BlH_geDwys

Scott,

I can't access that video.  The pic in post #11 doesn't show how to get the shape angled at the bottom.  I can use a dog-ear arch (left) to get the shape correct at the top but reflecting vertically only makes it a "V" instead of inverting the shape.

I'm pretty sure I've done a similar window in X6 or X7 but don't remember how and I don't seem to be able to do it in X8.

The only two methods I know of ( in a nutshell ) are to either build it completely from scratch, use material regions to cut holes in the wall finishes, and manually modify the framing...

Or, create a window symbol with the shape at the top, flip it upside down, and then manually patch that little triangle area with a polyline solid or whatever.

I'm assuming the latter is what Rich did.

I did get the vid posted,  I think you guys can figure out the limitations that CA has imposed on us....  it's all about not having the OFFSET option for the bottom of window whereas we do have the OFFSET for the top of the window.  

BTW,  lest I be reminded to send this into CA as a suggestion,  I did send this in several years ago.  If you guys think this is important,  maybe you can also send this in as a suggestion.  

The only two methods I know of ( in a nutshell ) are to either build it completely from scratch, use material regions to cut holes in the wall finishes, and manually modify the framing...

Or, create a window symbol with the shape at the top, flip it upside down, and then manually patch that little triangle area with a polyline solid or whatever.

I basically agree but I suspect that the "patch" is a part of the window symbol.  It would logically be made out of a "wall section" so that the materials could be edited to match any wall type.

Yes, I understand what you are saying,  Rich must of used a workaround of some sort..... this is not a slam dunk using CA's available tools,   Hey Rich,  how did you do this?

To summarize,  Rich was able to create a "BEND/ANGLE" in the bottom of the window.  In the top of the window it is easy peasy,  but in the bottom it is not so easy.  Good job Rich.