Screened Porches

SNestor

Go to solution Solved by Joe_Carrick,

I've searched the forum for "clues" on how to create a screened porch wall.  There isn't much out there...so, it must not be the most complicated issue.  

The suggestion by CA to use windows and change the glass to screen just does not create the most realistic porch wall.  It really doesn't allow for the correct showing of the posts etc.  I'm also surprised that CA does not include a screen material specifically for this application.  The material suggested for use is listed under "Fabric and Wall Coverings>Sheers and Shades>Screen>Screen".  I just don't think of this material as a "Fabric".  This material also does not look very accurate in vector view (IMO).  You basically need to create your own material...there are a number of methods.    

For my porch walls I decided to use the railing wall type.  Railing is "open" type.  Spec'd Post to beam in Newels/posts.  Included a bottom rail (2").  I have a railing set at 32".  Newels are 4".  The post is just a square post I modeled and saved as a symbol.  Not sure I really had to do that...but it works.  I set the spacing to 48".  In "Plan Display" I checked "draw newels".  

When creating the wall type I wanted the wall to sit in from the edge of the patio slab edge about an inch or so.  So...I added a layer in the wall definition with a fill of "opening - no material".  This works...but what confuses me is why the wall lines drawn are wider than the 4" post?  The lines represent the overall width of the wall.  I tried a lot of things and could never get the wall to draw just 4" wide.  Any ideas?

The wall works well enough.  I wish there was a way to include the screen material...so that when I draw the wall the screen would just be there.  So...for now I use a molding polyline and attach the screen material to this...and drag this polyline into the center of the screen wall.  I wish there was a way to save this "molding" profile?

Does anybody have a better method for creating screened porch walls?  Is there a way to create a custom wall that would draw the posts and the screen at the same time?

I've attached a small plan that shows the porch wall and screen materials.  

post-227-0-63812500-1463244928_thumb.jpg

post-227-0-75634200-1463244945_thumb.jpg

Screened Porch Wall.plan

I would personally build that entirely from scratch using solids, p-solids, cabinets, mouldings, slabs, framing material, etc.  It really doesn't take all that long and just turns out a whole lot more accurate and realistic. By the time you're done screwing around with wall definitions, adding your screen material, cleaning up the layer display issues, etc. it may actually be faster. 

Here are a couple snap shots of a similar one I drew up a while back.  It doesn't have the screen material but you'll get the general idea.  I think I used strictly p-solids on this one. 

post-46-0-28059700-1463246147_thumb.jpg

post-46-0-41625100-1463246323_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Steve there are lots of ways to do it as usual with Chief. I use fixed windows and then apply glass block screen. It gives the look of screen and transparency. One of the gurus showed it many moons ago and it works. If there won't be any finishing on outside then maybe create a millwork symbol with stretch planes and just place posts as needed.

Glass Block Screen.calibz

post-69-0-10185900-1463252184_thumb.jpgA number of years ago, I made a fixed window with narrow mullions and using multiple copy. The screened window  in my user library (now) is see through and width and height is adjustable as with any window. I have also used the fabric screen to quickly achieve a visual. I never did try to adjust the transparency of the fabric or even see if it was an option. I also saw the glass block method, but I didn't try it because I had my own configuration already.  

I would personally build that entirely from scratch using solids, p-solids, cabinets, mouldings, slabs, framing material, etc.  It really doesn't take all that long and just turns out a whole lot more accurate and realistic. By the time you're done screwing around with wall definitions, adding your screen material, cleaning up the layer display issues, etc. it may actually be faster. 

Here are a couple snap shots of a similar one I drew up a while back.  It doesn't have the screen material but you'll get the general idea.  I think I used strictly p-solids on this one. 

I have experimented with building a screened porch with p-solids vs. using a defined wall and making mods...such as adding screen and details as needed.  I think if the plans called for a very custom porch...the P-Solids would work best.  No doubt you can get much better details (see Michaels porch above...very nice).  However, for a basic screened porch shown on the con-docs - where all the client requires is that the porch is shown on the plans and located with dimensions -  using a wall and adding detail as needed is the way to go, it's much quicker...at least for me.  

Thanks to everyone for ideas on how to create screen material.  Lots of good ideas.  I would never have thought to use the muntin bars.  It still surprises me that after all these years CA just hasn't added screen material to the database.  Using the fabric material they suggest requires the user to modify it so that it appears somewhat translucent.  Why not just add a screen material (or two, or three) to the Chief database? 

Just some follow up...attached are two pictures.  One is of a screened porch constructed with walls.  The other (with the different colors) is constructed with P-Solids.  Obviously...using P-solids you can do a lot of things...if your intent is to create a very customized screened porch.  Both methods work...

post-227-0-67562500-1463414627_thumb.png

post-227-0-60546600-1463414643_thumb.png

You could do a majority of that with just the rails...no need for many plines.

See attached.

Obviously the verticals would need to be faked, but easy-peasy...

Good point. However - each section would be identical. P-solids allow you to customize each section as needed. Maybe the spacing of the posts is unequal...or a couple of sections have arched trim.

Good point. However - each section would be identical. P-solids allow you to customize each section as needed. Maybe the spacing of the posts is unequal...or a couple of sections have arched trim. 

I used OOB stock window (fixed glass and door(glass) resizable and shapable. Just showing the transparency of the screen fabric. I have also used polyline solids for the vertical and horizontal framing for a more realistic view.

I used OOB stock window (fixed glass and door(glass) resizable and shapable. Just showing the transparency of the screen fabric. I have also used polyline solids for the vertical and horizontal framing for a more realistic view.

I have experimented with the window method...I just don't think it looks correct in "plan view"...but I'm not an expert. Still learning.

• Solution

A "Panel" Railing would be my choice.  You would need to define the Panel as a "Millwork Symbol" with the screen and horizontal rails.  Then use a "Post to Beam" railing wall using that Panel.  You can add a Door if you need it.

I have experimented with the window method...I just don't think it looks correct in "plan view"...but I'm not an expert. Still learning. 

Not to worry. I convert everything to Cad and do Con Docs out of the program, so your method will work better for you.

A "Panel" Railing would be my choice. You would need to define the Panel as a "Millwork Symbol" with the screen and horizontal rails. Then use a "Post to Beam" railing wall using that Panel. You can add a Door if you need it.

So...are you saying I should create a mill work symbol that includes the screen and horizontal rail...save this symbol to my library...then attach this symbol to the "post to beam" railing?

Sounds like the way to go...if I understand what you are saying. Thanks for commenting Joe.

A "Panel" Railing would be my choice.  You would need to define the Panel as a "Millwork Symbol" with the screen and horizontal rails.  Then use a "Post to Beam" railing wall using that Panel.  You can add a Door if you need it.

Joe...your method is fabulous.  Very quick and with a couple of clicks you can change the design.  Genius.  Thanks.  

If I had some type of video software I'd make a video...

Basically...use a railing wall; spec it as "Panel" type.  Create a screen panel use P-Solids to create the screen and the rails you want, apply the correct materials.  I made mine 36" wide.  Save it as a millwork symbol.  

Draw your railing wall, open the DBX and spec it as panel type; Post to beam; in the newel/balusters section under panels, click library...go to your library and select the panel symbol you created.  You probably will need to specify the height of railing...this sets the overall height of the panel.  

You can create as many screen panel symbols as your imagination will allow.  See my pics below.

post-227-0-67699900-1463450672_thumb.png

post-227-0-67562800-1463450689_thumb.png

• 6 months later...

We were running into similar issues. After we generated the rails and posts I wanted to add screen panels. I tried using modified windows but as soon as they were inserted the railings disappeared. Then I remembered 3D warehouse. Imported a screen panel I found there, resized it and  plugged them in.

2 hours ago, Capehouse said:

We were running into similar issues. After we generated the rails and posts I wanted to add screen panels. I tried using modified windows but as soon as they were inserted the railings disappeared. Then I remembered 3D warehouse. Imported a screen panel I found there, resized it and  plugged them in.

The simplest way (I think...) to add screen to your porch is to use a molding line.  Attach a square or rectangular piece of trim...change the size...change the material to glass block...adjust the glass block material to make it look like screen...and you will have it.  Once you adjust the glass block material to "screen"...save this material to your library and you can use it in the future.  

Screen Molding - Standard View.png

Screen Molding - Vector View.png

Screen DBX.png

Screen Porch Pic.png