How to: Create a plot plan

mrrozhall

Hi Folks.  I use X8.  Can someone tell me how to create a plot plan?  I know this may sound like a simple request, but I've only used CA to design house plans and have never ventured into creating plot plans.  I have the survey coordinates on a non-scaled survey but would like to reproduce it in CA.

Any how-to steps, videos, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much

Roz

BUT...  remember there are 2 schools of thought in the Chief forum community. One is to follow Chief's training videos and use a CAD detail, the other is to use Layers to set up a Plot Plan that turns on/off the Layers needed to create a Plot Plan. I've dabbled in both and have settled on the CAD detail method per Chief's suggestions. Others use Layers. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. Lot to learn regarding same.

Re-read our post Roz. To duplicate a survey Chief's suggested CAD detail method may be best. Stay tuned for the smart guys and their advice.

This is something worth discussing in depth. The big schism for me comes with trying to make sure my 3d objects work well as 2d objects. This comes into play if you don't want to make redundant items in plan view so that the site plan I send to layout for con docs is accurately reflected in the exterior rendering.

I use layers. Let's say I have a patio where I use a slab to make it display in 3d. It is the keeping track of line weights and fill pattern and then the fill pattern weights to make sure when I go to the 3d view or the site plan in Layout, I have good visual definition. Sometimes (or often) those two different views (my 3d rendering vs. condocs) each need different levels of visual punch per item.

Sounds like Alan is using 3D objects to create his plot plan instead of just using CAD in plan view (as opposed to using CAD in a CAD Detail).  There are really quite a few ways to do this.  A person could...

-Use CAD in a CAD Detail

-Use CAD right in a plan view

-Use generic 3D objects in a plan view

-Use the terrain tools in a plan view

-Use a combination of the above

-Use a combination of plan views and reference sets

I personally usually just draw the plot plan up using CAD on the first floor and put it all on it's own unique layer. 

Edit:  After reading Perry's post below I realized I should probably clarify something.  I don't use CAD for anything that I'm already going to be drawing up...only for extraneous items such as lot lines, wells, septics, outbuildings, neighboring buildings, roads, power poles, power lines, etc. and even then, some of those items might be getting drawn in 3D anyway in which case I wouldn't use CAD for those either. 

I also use the layers to generate my plot plans, why?, b/c I want everything live meaning, change the floor plan and everything else changes automatically and I can also show the complete roof plan on the plot plan, using reference sets. Live is the key for me, b/c it just save time. Using a template plan and layout and live drawings, I just open them and start drawing and everything else generates automatically as you design. No cad for me, except for details, of course.

I also use the layers to generate my plot plans, why?, b/c I want everything live meaning, change the floor plan and everything else changes automatically and I can also show the complete roof plan on the plot plan, using reference sets. Live is the key for me, b/c it just save time. Using a template plan and layout and live drawings, I just open them and start drawing and everything else generates automatically as you design. No cad for me, except for details, of course.

Just so others know, using a CAD detail for the plot plan also allows for live updates of the floor plan and it's easy to show roofs, or any other layer for that matter, that you'd like to show, without reference sets.

Not arguing for the usage of a CAD detail but it's good to provide accurate information for others to choose.

Hi Folks.  Just reporting back.  The videos have been EXTREMELY helpful.  I've been able to draw a plot plan (not perfect but I'm learning).  However, the plot plan is MUCH MUCH larger than my drawing sheet and I don't know why its at a larger scale.  My end goal is to eventually place the house within the footprint of the plot (after I create the setbacks).  But for now, I can't figure out why the plot plan is significantly larger.  I've attached my house plan.  Go to CAD Detail Management and open the "Site Plan".  You'll see what I'm talking about.  I've also attached a screenshot.  I have also attached a copy of the survey.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Roz

post-1931-0-58843500-1463245864_thumb.png

TOAKS_TILEBID.plan

post-1931-0-20465200-1463247619_thumb.png

Just so others know, using a CAD detail for the plot plan also allows for live updates of the floor plan and it's easy to show roofs, or any other layer for that matter, that you'd like to show, without reference sets.

Not arguing for the usage of a CAD detail but it's good to provide accurate information for others to choose.

Larry,  I forgot the reason,  but when I was at the UGM,  I think it was the last one,  this topic came up,  and there was a weakness in the  CAD DETAIL method.  

I wish I remembered the reason,  but I do remember discussing the two methods with someone,  and I reached the conclusion that the LIVE LAYER method was the best for me.  

Maybe it had to do with the fact you can not use ref sets with the CAD METHOD....nuts,  sorry,  but I do not recollect the reason.

Larry,  I forgot the reason,  but when I was at the UGM,  I think it was the last one,  this topic came up,  and there was a weakness in the  CAD DETAIL method.  

I wish I remembered the reason,  but I do remember discussing the two methods with someone,  and I reached the conclusion that the LIVE LAYER method was the best for me.  

Maybe it had to do with the fact you can not use ref sets with the CAD METHOD....nuts,  sorry,  but I do not recollect the reason.

I remember that too Scott and was convinced I would use the Layer method from that same discussion but discovered a couple cool features about the CAD method that I have adapted myself to. BTW the CAD detail method is live and you don't have use ref sets to show different layers. I'll do a quick vid.

Hi Folks.  Just reporting back.  The videos have been EXTREMELY helpful.  I've been able to draw a plot plan (not perfect but I'm learning).  However, the plot plan is MUCH MUCH larger than my drawing sheet and I don't know why its at a larger scale.  My end goal is to eventually place the house within the footprint of the plot (after I create the setbacks).  But for now, I can't figure out why the plot plan is significantly larger.  I've attached my house plan.  Go to CAD Detail Management and open the "Site Plan".  You'll see what I'm talking about.  I've also attached a screenshot.  I have also attached a copy of the survey.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Roz

It looks like you have a drawing sheet in your plan? Or is that a Layout picture?

Go to >File>Print>Drawing Sheet Setup and turn off  "Show Drawing Sheet In View" then send your house footprint to the CAD detail using the proper Layer and the scale should be OK.

Larry,

Just a quick note.  I think you're taking an unnecessary step in creating a CAD Detail.  By simply creating a Plan Footprint you're already creating that detail.  Just a minor thing but I wanted to throw that out there for anyone who may not know. 

Hi Roz, I fixed a few things for you , I changed your scale to 1" = 20' and turned on your dimensions so that you can figure out what that ~6' discrepancy on the left side is all about.  Plot lines can be edited individually so you don't have to start all over unless of course you need the practice.  Just take a look at the Fix plan and try to duplicate on you own plan so you will know how it all works.

Just noticed the survey you posted, you will have to manually arc the front line on the west side.

If you decide to do some manual editing go to Preferences and turn on your Start and End Indicators, so you know which end of the line to lock.  This will reduce you frustration level.

TOAKS_TILEBID Fix.plan

post-4797-0-64910400-1463250746_thumb.jpg

Larry,

Just a quick note.  I think you're taking an unnecessary step in creating a CAD Detail.  By simply creating a Plan Footprint you're already creating that detail.  Just a minor thing but I wanted to throw that out there for anyone who may not know. 

Good one Michael, thanks. I actually hadn't created a plan footprint in so long I had no idea how that really worked. Also in my plan template all of that is already done so I just change to the Plot Plan set and my Plot Plan is updated automagically.

Larry, thanks for the reminder , no ref sets using the Cad detail method.

You can turn on/off any Layer and the ref sets will work in plan view but ref sets won't transfer over to the CAD detail.

You can stack plan footprints (first and second floors) but it's not the same.

EDIT though it actually works pretty good. Something I never knew/tried.

Larry, thanks for the reminder , no ref sets using the Cad detail method.

I think that was the reason I ruled out the cad detail method.  I use ref sets for my site plans.....  at the very least I want to show my roof eaves.