Simple Question about layers in plan and Layout

4hotshoez

I have done this before, but right now the method eludes me. on my second floor plan I have the first floor showing, but in layout it is not showing. I have forgotten how to make it show in layout. Unfortunately it is not obvious to do but I k now that I struggled with this before. Please help.

I use 2D CAD dashed lines to do that sort of thing, laying them out using the "Reference Display"

DJP

Why not just use the actual reference display?

I'm starting to think a lot of people simply have never used this feature and don't know how. There's got to be some videos or articles in the Help files on this.

Todd, your question is directly tied to that in your other thread. To start with, you have to make sure your layout box is using the same layer set AND reference layer set that you're seeing in your plan view. Unless you change it, your layout will always remember and use the combination of layer set and reference set that you were using when you sent the view to layout.

I'll try to make a short video if I can find a little extra time (unless somebody else gets around to it first).

If your plan is showing the reference floor when you send a plan view to layout, then the layout will show the reference floor.

If you want to modify the reference floor display on an existing layout box, just open the specification dialog and go to the Plan View panel.  There you will be able to turn reference display on/off or change the other settings.

If your plan is showing the reference floor when you send a plan view to layout, then the layout will show the reference floor......

To restate what Dermot said,  I think the key is you must have the ref set on when sending to layout....  if you do not see the ref set in layout,  it may be because it was sent to layout initially without ref sets on.

I know,  I repeated what Dermot said ,  but sometimes things need to be stated twice and differently to get the  point across.

I think the key is you must have the ref set on when sending to layout....  if you do not see the ref set in layout,  it may be because it was sent to layout initially without ref sets on.

Scott, I am sure you already know this (you probably just forgot :) ), but it is not necessary to have the ref set on when sending a plan view to layout

Any Reference Set (if you have more than one) for any floor can be toggled on in the Plan View panel of the Layout Box Specification of that plan view that was sent to Layout.

Now I am not sure if the OP wants to see the reference set in the Layout or simply some of the items that are on another floor. He could follow DP's advice or he could set up a new reference set (while in plan view) and adjust the layers to show only those items he wants to see and how he wants to see them (reference set lines don't HAVE to be red).

post-571-0-84890100-1463093733_thumb.jpg

Yes, reference sets are nothing but layer-sets, that you set up as a reference set. Just call it something like, reference set floor 1, to show floor 2 referenced on floor1. You can even copy a layer-set that's close to what you want and re-name. You can even set it up from a layout view.

Scott, I am sure you already know this (you probably just forgot :) ), but it is not necessary to have the ref set on when sending a plan view to layout

Any Reference Set (if you have more than one) for any floor can be toggled on in the Plan View panel of the Layout Box Specification of that plan view that was sent to Layout.

Now I am not sure if the OP wants to see the reference set in the Layout or simply some of the items that are on another floor. He could follow DP's advice or he could set up a new reference set (while in plan view) and adjust the layers to show only those items he wants to see and how he wants to see them (reference set lines don't HAVE to be red).

Thanks Mickey for the info. I will double check tomorrow. At one time, back during the Stone Age, I think they had to be on when initially sent to layout.

I don't do it like Michael, what I meant was, you could choose different reference sets as you want in the layout, after it already set up but I guess using his method , you can.

Yup. I, too, was setting them up in plan view before accessing/choosing them in Layout. So now we know you can set them up in Layout as well.

Good to know.