Roof Material

RobWhite

Chief X8 user.

How do I change the roof material from tile to corrugation steel. I understand of the material and have the product. 

The programme defaults to tile but I need corrugated. Previous version had the roof cover under material in the roof plane specification menu, but version 18 has roof plane (under the material tab), but only has the options for fascia and soffit/eaves.

How do I change the roof plan material.

Rob

• 3 weeks later...

This one falls under the heading of "Counterintuitive".

Let's have the roof material selection back in the "roof materials specification" and in the "Edit all roof planes" option.

Common Chief, I've been bracing on you but you dropped the ball on this change.

• Downvote 1

This one falls under the heading of "Counterintuitive".

Let's have the roof material selection back in the "roof materials specification" and in the "Edit all roof planes" option.

Common Chief, I've been bracing on you but you dropped the ball on this change.

I don't see why some people have such a problem with this. It's the way wall, floor, and ceiling structure layers work already. It seems like they're just making things a little more consistent and adding functionality.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

This is the last post I will make on this item. I don't like to be difficult and we will all get used to it but the roofing is a material not a structural element. Why would you not have the option to change the roof material with every other material that makes up the roof instead of hiding it away in a separate "structure" tab? Yes, being able to select the thickness and material together is nice but so are options.

Here's my take for what it's worth.

The name of the panel in the Roof Plane Specification is Structure - not Structural - there is a difference between "structure" and "structural" or "structural element". 

I would consider the roofing material (Surface) to be part of the "structure".

Under Surface, we can now have user configurable multiple layers - how would this be handled on the "Materials" panel? 

• 2 months later...

How would materials be handled?  Just like anything else in Chief.  The top layer is often the only thing you change there.

Setting it in the "Structure Tab" makes it like flooring -- which I personally don't care for either.

Materials should set materials.  There's no default for roofing any more -- so what we were taught to set all your defaults before drawing is now -- only partly true?!

And, to make it even more lame, there IS a setting for the ridge cap in the materials defaults, but not the roofing.

Just plain dumb.  Having the layers of the roof "structure" broken out is wonderful, especially for take-off & material list purposes.  But setting the roof surface material there, non sequitur to how of the rest of Chief is setup.  The fact that there are suddenly several threads of folks asking how to do this is clearly an indication that Chief took the wrong direction here.  Change that makes the process smoother, the results better = good change.  Change just because = bad change.  I'm all for good change.

While I'm at it:  Where the hell did the setting for gutter materials go, and why on earth was that changed??  "Help" says that setting is on the materials tab, as it always was.  But nope, not there.  It's on the Material defaults (the ONLY place it is, as far as I can find) list | Roof, but listed by the gutter profile, not "Gutter."

Who's doing all this?  Obviously not someone who actually needs to use the program!

IMHO.

I don't think you are looking hard enough. 

There's no default for roofing any more -- so what we were taught to set all your defaults before drawing is now -- only partly true?!

There ARE roofing defaults (including roofing material) which are accessed through the roof default settings.

And, to make it even more lame, there IS a setting for the ridge cap in the materials defaults, but not the roofing

They are in the Materials panel of the default Build Roof dbx

While I'm at it:  Where the hell did the setting for gutter materials go

This is also in the roof defaults dbx...Materials panel.