Is it possible to put holes from two different sides of a ployline solid?

John_B

What's strange is that I can add holes all day long on the front face (where the poly solid was created) but for whatever reason when I try on the side it just adds a 1" solid even though I have selected "hole"!

Michael, I really appreciate the video...I tried this and still ZERO results....your method works perfect when going through the direction that the original polyline solid was created...see below (I extended the solid through the roof and tried to add the hole above so that it would be easier to see):

post-267-0-44083100-1462925745_thumb.jpg

Hole added using your method above the roof

post-267-0-24659400-1462925790_thumb.jpg

Solid turned 90 degrees (not the direction that the solid was made)

post-267-0-11850400-1462925828_thumb.jpg

Followed same process that created the original hole above the roof but when I clicked "delete" the solid disappeared but no hole....

Here's a quick video I made a little while back just roughly going over the basics...

Thanks for the vid. Micheal. I guess my comment is that even though you can work with solids "organically", its very hard to shape model in CA using primitive solids with precision. Faces dont have any dimensions, angles, etc....so I suppose you are left to use some amount of guess-work.

Thanks for the vid. Micheal. I guess my comment is that even though you can work with solids "organically", its very hard to shape model in CA using primitive solids with precision. Faces dont have any dimensions, angles, etc....so I suppose you are left to use some amount of guess-work.

Ya.  I partially agree.  I've personally adapted my thinking and techniques so that I feel pretty stinkin' comfortable with Chief though.  And I actually find it pretty easy to model accurately in Chief.  I can very easily see what you're saying though.

Michael, I really appreciate the video...I tried this and still ZERO results....your method works perfect when going through the direction that the original polyline solid was created...see below (I extended the solid through the roof and tried to add the hole above so that it would be easier to see):

attachicon.gifhole3.jpg

Hole added using your method above the roof

attachicon.gifhole4.jpg

Solid turned 90 degrees (not the direction that the solid was made)

attachicon.gifhole5.jpg

Followed same process that created the original hole above the roof but when I clicked "delete" the solid disappeared but no hole....

Are you sure you are converting those polyline solids to solids?  You have to click on "Convert To Solid", and you don't use "delete", you use "Solid Subtraction". 

post-267-0-61504500-1462934514_thumb.jpg

Are you sure you are converting those polyline solids to solids?  You have to click on "Convert To Solid", and you don't use "delete", you use "Solid Subtraction".

You 'da man Michael!!! For some reason I did not, although punching through the one side didn't require it, THANKS AGAIN Michael for solving one of my life's mysteries!!!