Can I have 2x floor joists and 4x floor joists for the second floor

dshall

I suppose since I had never realized this,  I cannot have 2x floor joists under one room and 4x floor joists under another room...  without manually drawing them in,  is that so?

I can control the spacing and the depth but I cannot control the width?  Is that so?

I believe the width is controlled in the floor dvx and so there is only one option for the width.  WOW,  that is not good. Not a killer but a bit limiting.

Perhaps I am not following what you want....couldn't you create the joist as you normally (auto if you want) would and then select the few joists under a specific room and increase their widths as they sit? 

I just did a quick test and it worked....

Scott,

You should be able to select any (or a set of) joists in a framing plan or 3D view and change the size (width, height, length).  You will have to turn of "auto framing" but this is obviously a condition where that would be appropriate.

Room Specification>Structure>Floor Structure allows us to assign a framing Material to a Floor Structure layer. When I set one room to use 1-1/2" lumber, and an adjacent room to use a 2-1/4" I-joist, then build the framing, the framing doesn't respect these different Material definitions. Why? Shouldn't it build 1-1/2" lumber joists beneath the first room, and 2-1/4" I-joists beneath the second room?

Room Specification>Structure>Floor Structure allows us to assign a framing Material to a Floor Structure layer. When I set one room to use 1-1/2" lumber, and an adjacent room to use a 2-1/4" I-joist, then build the framing, the framing doesn't respect these different Material definitions. Why? Shouldn't it build 1-1/2" lumber joists beneath the first room, and 2-1/4" I-joists beneath the second room?

Joists rarely end/start at room definitions so im not sure how Chief would handle that.  From a practicality standpoint you'd have to have either a bearing wall or beam at every single transition - which Chief doesn't currently auto-place (and with good reason).

From a practicality standpoint you'd have to have either a bearing wall or beam at every single transition - which Chief doesn't currently auto-place (and with good reason).

Floor structure with different depths may require this, but not widths.

Not true. Changing the width of a joist requires a seam no matter how you look at it. Johnny is correct.

I believe we must be thinking of two different situations. Imagine a rectangular foundation 20' long by 12' wide. I can span the 12' width with 1-3/4" x 9-1/2" I-joists. Maybe in once section, say below a bathroom suite, I need to beef things up to 2-3/4" I-joists. This condition doesn't require any "seam" or beam or bearing wall because it's a single span. If I divide the 12' width at some point to create two spans, one with 1-3/4" I-joists and the other with 2-3/4" I-joists, then of course I'd need a bearing beneath the transition. But that is not the condition I was thinking of when I responded to Johnny.

I suppose since I had never realized this,  I cannot have 2x floor joists under one room and 4x floor joists under another room...  without manually drawing them in,  is that so?

I can control the spacing and the depth but I cannot control the width?  Is that so?

I believe the width is controlled in the floor dvx and so there is only one option for the width.

That's the way I know Chief's behavior as well. Would be awesome to be able to define each floor's framing on a room by room basis but I'm not sure I come up against that situation very often. Still, I'd like the flexibility.

That's the way I know Chief's behavior as well. Would be awesome to be able to define each floor's framing on a room by room basis but I'm not sure I come up against that situation very often. Still, I'd like the flexibility.

Yeah, I don't define the structure on a room by room basis. In my post #4 I was just making an observation, not complaining or making a feature request.

Personally find the joist tool not very useful. One should be able to give direction of joist for various floors and rooms, change joist sizes or engineer materials quickly....... For instance room/floor should have joist running front to back or from side to side often times mixed. One should also be able to specify the use and placement of LVL's ............. in the system...... in line with joist, below joist as a beam or on top as a beam with hangers etc.......... Yes, I know you can draw all this in using P-lines/Solids....... but not very useful in calculating materials. Lessons could be used from programs like CadPlus Estimator or PlanSwift they are designed to draw and calculate materials quickly. Also woudl be nice to be able to integrate information from programs like StruCalc and others directly. For sure more tools should be available to make this easier!

kevin

Personally find the joist tool not very useful. One should be able to give direction of joist for various floors and rooms, change joist sizes or engineer materials quickly....... For instance room/floor should have joist running front to back or from side to side often times mixed. One should also be able to specify the use and placement of LVL's ............. in the system...... in line with joist, below joist as a beam or on top as a beam with hangers etc.......... Yes, I know you can draw all this in using P-lines/Solids....... but not very useful in calculating materials. Lessons could be used from programs like CadPlus Estimator or PlanSwift they are designed to draw and calculate materials quickly. Also woudl be nice to be able to integrate information from programs like StruCalc and others directly. For sure more tools should be available to make this easier!

kevin

A lot of that functionality is already built in and if you need to do any manual work use floor beams/joists to frame then your material list should be more accurate.

Check some of Chief's framing training videos, I think you're missing a couple of tools that will do some of what you want.

I believe we must be thinking of two different situations. Imagine a rectangular foundation 20' long by 12' wide. I can span the 12' width with 1-3/4" x 9-1/2" I-joists. Maybe in once section, say below a bathroom suite, I need to beef things up to 2-3/4" I-joists. This condition doesn't require any "seam" or beam or bearing wall because it's a single span. If I divide the 12' width at some point to create two spans, one with 1-3/4" I-joists and the other with 2-3/4" I-joists, then of course I'd need a bearing beneath the transition. But that is not the condition I was thinking of when I responded to Johnny.

I see what you were envisioning.  If the room spans entire across the floor structure then there's no issue, but that's not often the case.  As soon as there are any breaks, jogs, or rooms that otherwise don't span the entire floor structure there would be major issues getting that to automate.  I just don't think there's any way of making that happen with Chief's room based paradigm.  They would have to make a separate group of tools like many of the other programs have where you build floors, walls, ceilings, etc. separately.   And then, what's the point.  It's easy enough to just manually change a few joists here and there as necessary. 

A lot of that functionality is already built in and if you need to do any manual work use floor beams/joists to frame then your material list should be more accurate.

Check some of Chief's framing training videos, I think you're missing a couple of tools that will do some of what you want.

I agree with Larry, Kevin apparently does not understand how to control floor joist direction, spacing , and depth. This can all been done fairly simply. The issue is controling different WIDTHS, this is where manual work needs to been done.

• 2 weeks later...

kevin

Kevin,  you mentioned this in your other thread and you got me curious as to what you were talking about so I came back to take a look.  To me, much (but not all) of this appears to be the case of a person simply not knowing how to use the tools properly.  Specifically, try studying the Bearing Line, Joist Direction, and Floor/Ceiling Beam tools to get you started.  Then look at modifying your room structure settings and various framing settings. 

Could we use some improvements? Absolutely!  But when you say.  "Yes, I know you can draw all this in using P-lines/Solids.."  it becomes very clear that you don't actually know all the tools and capabilities you already have at your disposal.  Check it out, you might be surprised.