Back/clipped vs cross/section

johnny

Not sure about anyone else, but I like different features between these two tools. I like the "back/clipped sections" for their clean line/fill production at the wall intersection but I would like to see items past the cut as we do in the "cross section". Does anyone know a way to get both?

Here is a quick example.  The first version is a "section line" (red arrows what lines shouldn't be there) and the second is a "back-clip".  Is there a way to get the clean line-work the back-clip offers?  This is just one 1/2 of a window section, and having all those extra lines to clean is a real PITA.

post-75-0-52291300-1462660268_thumb.jpg

post-75-0-19463000-1462660322_thumb.jpg

Johnny,

I have read these posts several times and still don't get what you are asking for.

What is wrong with the back clipped section? Isn't that what you are asking for?

BTW, they are both the same tool - Cross Section/Elevation camera . The only difference is the Scene Clipping option has been turned on with the Backclipped camera. 

Yes it is a real balancing act knowing what layers to show and how much back clip to include and then how much cleanup to do in layout, but not really sure there is a solution that Chief could provide here.  Unless you could define the issue such that it would apply to the majority of jobs?

Johnny,

Still not sure what you exactly want, but do you realise that you can change the properties for the Cross Section Lines layer to so that the cutting plane lines appear differently, ie, different color, weight, etc. 

Johnny,

I have read these posts several times and still don't get what you are asking for.

What is wrong with the back clipped section? Isn't that what you are asking for?

BTW, they are both the same tool - Cross Section/Elevation camera . The only difference is the Scene Clipping option has been turned on with the Backclipped camera. 

If you see my example of the same wall sections, notice all the extra lines that show through the window trim etc (which is a "cross section")....on the clip section its exactly correct.  Is there a way to control this at all?  All those extra lines in places they shouldn't be on the cross section is frustrating to deal with constantly.

I know exactly what you want Johnny and there is a tool that I think was introduced in X7 that I have not utilized but may do some of what you want. I will find and post the CA video for you since I don't make my own yet. The tool gives you the option to break and stagger the cut plane of a cross-section or back clipped cross-section camera. I think you are frustrated enough to figure it out and teach us all about it.

Hi Johnny, That was cool I logged out to find video for you and came back and logged back in to edit my post and pressed the edit button and everything disappeared. Wow!!!  Any way here is the video that might be part of the solution to your problem. 

https://video.chiefarchitect.com/?playlist=49  CA #5303 if the link does not work. Or if you don't have SSA then all you do is set up a cross-section or in your case maybe a back clipped cross-section would be more precise and then use the break line tool to cut and stagger the cut plane of the camera to achieve the desired effect and eliminate as much clutter as possible and show what you need to show.

Chopsaw.

This may not be exactly what you wanted but what I did was to make a cross section then did a CAD Detail From View.  I then made a back clipped cross section and did a CAD Detail From View.  I then copied all the items I need such as doors windows from the cross section and did a Paste Hold Position on the back clipped cross section.  It's a little tedious but achieves the desired result.

Alan

I do this by sending both versions to the layout.  They have to be in exact alignment.  Send both view with the default line weights and color.  Place the back clipped view in front and open the other view and change the line color to gray.  The important lines will be crisp and black and the rest of the structure will be represented by gray lines.