Symbols and 2D Cad Block

SNestor

How do you assign a specific layer to a 3D Symbol?  

I'm attempting to create a closet shelf/rod symbol.  I want it to be on it's own layer.  However, the symbol always is assigned to the "Fixture, Interior" layer.  Of course this layer does not have the line style/color that I would like the symbol to have.  

The cad block I assigned to the 3D symbol does have the layer I want...which is light gray and has a dashed line.

So...what am I missing?  Seems like when you create the symbol and the DBX asks what "type" the symbol is...that is the layer the object is assigned to.  

Steve, since you haven't received a reply, I'll try to help. It looks like you're using X7 right?

In X7, yes, when you create a new symbol, you put it in a category which is linked to Chief's main layer for that category. I see you figured out how to change the cad block. To change the layer the symbol is on in the layer display, just place the symbol in the plan> open it > change the layer it's on. If you need to use that symbol again in that plan, just copy it around.

In X8, you can place the symbol in the plan, open it and change the layer it's on. Now you can select that symbol you changed in the plan and save it to your user library. That symbol will maintain the layer you set it on in your user library. So now when you want that symbol that is on that layer, just go to your user library and place it in your plan. Good to go.

• Upvote 1