Interior/exterior wall connection

chansman

I am doing an addition and the contractor want to just butt  the new interior wall to the existing exterior wall. The issue I have in CA6 is the the interior wall auto-joins to the framing layer of the of the exterior wall. I"ve tried to edit the connection but still cant get it. Any ideas?

Thanks,,

JG

post-218-0-21877500-1399734423_thumb.jpg

it's workarounds like this that make Chief so frustrating :(

when X6 beta came out I started keep a list of each thread dealing with

a workaround or a bug

when I reached over 100 soon after the official release I gave up

Lew

No need for any workarounds or invisible walls.

This can all be done with the Edit Wall Layer Intersections - that's what it's for. 

Lew, you need to be aware that even though a post claims to be a bug or workaround, it is not always the case. 

• Upvote 1

I thought this program's nickname was "workaround".  Have I been missing something since V2?

There are work arounds and then there are workarounds.  Those knuckleheads at CA have not figured everything out yet,  until they do,   many of us have found methods to use the tools that CA provides that allows us to do what we need to do.  Is this a workaround?  Maybe,  but dog gone it,  at least CA gives us the tools to carry out what we want to do.

Embrace the workaround until CA figures out every possible scenario that may arise.

JG,

I am not sure from your diagram, what intersection you are talking about.

Do you mean like this?

Use the new Edit Wall Layer Intersections tool. 

It is made for this situation.

Not a workaround, listen to Glen, that is the tool for connections, now you can have any connection you want. I thought you wanted just to keep 2 walls from connecting.

So Lew, with your experience and in your opinion, is the topic of this thread a "workaround"?

Glenn:

huh ???

when I see solutions like "make it 1/16" thicker"

that's a workaround

Use the new Edit Wall Layer Intersections tool

this is not a workaround

Embrace the workaround until CA figures out every possible scenario that may arise

absolutely, but also rant and rant some more or CA will assume the workaround is good enough

Lew

I will admit I still use a lot of workarounds that I have always used and do not explore the new options we get as the program evolves.  I get busy and I just go for speed to get the work finished. This forum is great to keep up with this forum to stay with the current features and it amazes me to find a button, that has been sitting there, that will do exactly what I want to do.  This is a deep program and I probably use 75% of the features, if that, after twenty years.  I am trying to do an hour or so, on the weekends, looking at the videos, this forum, etc.- worth it - I always find some good technique. You guys are good.

• 2 weeks later...

No need for any workarounds or invisible walls.

This can all be done with the Edit Wall Layer Intersections - that's what it's for. 

Lew, you need to be aware that even though a post claims to be a bug or workaround, it is not always the case. 

Please Glenn, Can you tell me where to find the command "Edit Wall Layer Intersections"  I've looked and looked and cannot find any such command in X6.

Here at the bottom left.

Bill,  took a look at your screen shot,  couple of comments.

I like the way you show the removed walls,  very clear,  might consider using a GRADUATED GREY LINE STYLE,  that is what I use,  but yours might be clearer,  stands out more,  but then again maybe you don't want it to stand out more,  personal taste

The trellis,  or what I assume is the trellis,  I definitely show the trellis as dashed grey lines,  just a thought,  (on second thought,  maybe I am looking at a framing plan thus the solid lines....  got it,  very helpful to look at other plans,  we can always learn something,  thx)

But nice clear plan.

Scott,

The work to be performed, (build or remove) is done in black line while the reference lines are longer dash mid gray lines.

I would have placed the trellis lines in a framing plan but in this case I combined the two plans.

Yeah  Bill,  I think I like your BLACK dashed lines for removed walls vs my GREY dashed lines for removed walls,   I may have to rethink this.  Comment on your new SOLID BLACK WALLS for new walls,  it is very clear,  however I use a DARK GREY for the new walls,  reason being,  DIMENSION TICKS etc.,  do not get "lost"  in the solid black walls.....  just a thought.

Scott,

I agree with the dimension ticks.  I do a lot of commercial work at 1/8" and 1/16"  and I want the walls to pop at the small scale.  When I enlarge a stair or bathroom plan I use a dark gray wall. I have

been doing it this way for 35 years, maybe I should  change the black walls to dark gray or retire in a few more years and play more golf.