Exporting to Virtual Reality

Simplay

Go to solution Solved by Simplay,

Has anyone tried viewing their plans in VR? The headset I am using is an HTC Vive and as best I can guess so far is that I would export a plan in 3DS format from Chief to something like Unity. Before I start working on this process I want to make sure I'm not re-inventing the wheel here.

Hey Simplay,

We're also looking into VR.  As near as we can tell Iris is the closest to what you're looking for.

I've talked to Chief and they say there's no plan to integrate VR yet...which seems...odd.

We haven't bought the headsets yet, but just curious what your thoughts on the Vive are?...

• Solution

Ok, I got it working. Actually I use Home Designer Architectural so I cannot export 3D stuff but I know someone who can.

• In Chief create a "Perspective Full Overview." 3D->Create Perspective View->Perspective Full Overview
  • Then Export to dae format (3D Collada). File->Export->Export 3D COLLADA Model (DAE)
  • Now backup the entire plan to a zip file. File->Backup Entire Plan->Backup Plan Files and all Referenced Files. Also Check "Send Backup Files to Zip Archive"
  • Extract the zip files to a folder, copy in the dae file you exported.
  • Open Unity. Go to Assets, Materials, and copy all your files from the Backup Plan archive here, except the .plan and .dae file.
  • Copy the dae file to the Assets directory.
  • Finally click the dae file in Unity and under Materials, ensure Import Materials is checked and these to options are selected: Material Naming: By Base Texture Name; Material Search: Recursive-Lookup.

Now you should be able to copy your dae file to the Unity Scene window and see your plan including textures.

post-11744-0-45080100-1462392384_thumb.png

Hey Simplay,

We're also looking into VR.  As near as we can tell Iris is the closest to what you're looking for.

I've talked to Chief and they say there's no plan to integrate VR yet...which seems...odd.

We haven't bought the headsets yet, but just curious what your thoughts on the Vive are?...

The Vive is amazing.  If you have not experienced one, find the nearest location to try one out for yourself.  It is something you cannot explain in words.  Some GameStops and Microsoft stores have demo's where you can test it in store.

The Vive is room-scale and comes with two controllers.  Other solutions do not have these options currently, they are seated experiences only and you use a controller to move.  Room-scale adds another level of immersion that is magical.

As for VR integration in Chief, that would be killer, however from a development standpoint they would have to sink some serious $$ into R&D.  This is one area where an API would be beneficial, someone else could do the development and sell it as an addon.  Or Chief themselves for that matter but it does not look like they use that type of model.

I imagine the export option is the best we will get.  Maybe they could tweak it to less steps,  Export VR to Zip and include all the files and textures you will need.

I don't know much about Unity, but I really like where IrisVR is headed.

I'm signed up for their software, but cannot download anything until we get a headset.

We're in the air between Vive and Oculus.

I might have to make a trip to Minneapolis and see if they have anything there to test out.

I've had access to Vive for a little more than a month, but I think it is fair to say that it will take a while before this will be a smooth process. I'm going via 3ds Max to Unreal (which is free for commercial architectural work) via FBX. It is fiddly but the game exporter in Max helps. The Vive is in my view a much better experience than Rift with its room sensors, some of the demos like Everest and the IKEA kitchen shows the potential, but it is difficult to design for movement as the destination space size will likely differ. Being able to walk around a design is amazing though. Some form of teleport mechanism is recommended. Another note, and I think it is an adjustment issue, but oddly (given that they have basically the same specs) our impression is that Rift has a slightly better image quality.

On the other hand, if you want to offer interior experiences from a fix camera location, IrisVR is fast and easy and a 360 cubic map can be rendered out directly from Max.

I don't know much about Unity, but I really like where IrisVR is headed.

I'm signed up for their software, but cannot download anything until we get a headset.

We're in the air between Vive and Oculus.

I might have to make a trip to Minneapolis and see if they have anything there to test out.

The Samsung Gear VR might be a good option for initially testing without committing to a Vive or Oculus.  I also signed up for their software but am on the wait list.

We're ready to make the plunge.  We just don't know which headset is best, and what's the best workflow.

We want some sort of simple export/import process, and the irisVR seems to meet that.

• 5 months later...

Ok, I got it working. Actually I use Home Designer Architectural so I cannot export 3D stuff but I know someone who can.

• In Chief create a "Perspective Full Overview." 3D->Create Perspective View->Perspective Full Overview
  • Then Export to dae format (3D Collada). File->Export->Export 3D COLLADA Model (DAE)
  • Now backup the entire plan to a zip file. File->Backup Entire Plan->Backup Plan Files and all Referenced Files. Also Check "Send Backup Files to Zip Archive"
  • Extract the zip files to a folder, copy in the dae file you exported.
  • Open Unity. Go to Assets, Materials, and copy all your files from the Backup Plan archive here, except the .plan and .dae file.
  • Copy the dae file to the Assets directory.
  • Finally click the dae file in Unity and under Materials, ensure Import Materials is checked and these to options are selected: Material Naming: By Base Texture Name; Material Search: Recursive-Lookup.
Now you should be able to copy your dae file to the Unity Scene window and see your plan including textures.

CaptureHouse.PNG

Hi Simplay, I want to offer my clients a vr view of their renovation. Ie standing or walking around inside their space seeing the proposed new design.

Have you done anymore work on this?

I have cax7 professional

Love to hear how this vr thing is progressing and how I might use it going forward.

David

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 0:51 PM, keysersoze said:

Hi Simplay, I want to offer my clients a vr view of their renovation. Ie standing or walking around inside their space seeing the proposed new design.

Have you done anymore work on this?

I have cax7 professional

Love to hear how this vr thing is progressing and how I might use it going forward.

David

...Bump.