Erea...

Kjellar

I do this in macros that I provide in my "Macro a Month Club" subscription. 

You can of course simply enter in a text box m and then insert the Global Special Character > Superscript (2) to get

Create a macro named %m2%

result = "m²"

then just add %m2% wherever you want those characters in a text box or label.  Of course, this won't replace SQ M that Chief puts in anything automatically.

You can of course simply enter in a text box m and then insert the Global Special Character > Superscript (2) to get

result = "m²"

then just add %m2% wherever you want those characters in a text box or label.  Of course, this won't replace SQ M that Chief puts in anything automatically.

Okey !!....i can do that :-)....but Chief Architect is used in many countries and some of these uses m2 (as sq m ) .... this should not be locked but selectable ...is my opinion ....

Hi Kjell,

I agree.  AFAIK, only the USA and (maybe Canada) use the Imperial System.  Everyone else uses the Metric System and "" is the standard for area.

You should post this as a request in the Suggestions Forum.  I'm not sure exactly where in Chief SQ M gets displayed.  Its probably just in the Room Area displays.  If you know of any other locations - include them in your suggestion.

Hi Kjell,

I agree.  AFAIK, only the USA and (maybe Canada) use the Imperial System.  Everyone else uses the Metric System and "" is the standard for area.

You should post this as a request in the Suggestions Forum.  I'm not sure exactly where in Chief SQ M gets displayed.  Its probably just in the Room Area displays.  If you know of any other locations - include them in your suggestion.

Done in request forum :-)....yes in Room and  Living area...hope this can be done :-)

It is quite easy to get Chief to display m2 in the dbx's by creating a new Unit of Measurement and making it the Default Unit.

But it seems that Chief doesn't use this when it reports things like Living Area and Room areas. 

post-106-0-81313500-1462409520_thumb.jpg

It is quite easy to get Chief to display m2 in the dbx's by creating a new Unit of Measurement and making it the Default Unit.

But it seems that Chief doesn't use this when it reports things like Living Area and Room areas. 

Yea....i have tried that to...:-(

All the predefined "macros" that Chief provides in the Global and Object Properties selections are what CA calls "Name-Value Pairs".  The output of these are "fixed content text", not "interpreted by Ruby".  Consequently the data can not be manipulated or changed - except by CA.  We do not have any ability to modify the text that's displayed or use any numerical info for calculations.

Perhaps the easiest solution in the case of the Room & Living Area Displays would be for CA to just drop the units.  Then we could just add what we want to the end of the Labels.

All the predefined "macros" that Chief provides in the Global and Object Properties selections are what CA calls "Name-Value Pairs".  The output of these are "fixed content text", not "interpreted by Ruby".  Consequently the data can not be manipulated or changed - except by CA.  We do not have any ability to modify the text that's displayed or use any numerical info for calculations.

Perhaps the easiest solution in the case of the Room & Living Area Displays would be for CA to just drop the units.  Then we could just add what we want to the end of the Labels.

Yea....that will be okey....:-)  

• 9 months later...
On 5/4/2016 at 8:35 AM, Joe_Carrick said:

result = "m²"

Joe,

I can't seem to locate that one in the "Macro of the Month"

Can you tell me which month or send again. Thanks for your hard work.

23 minutes ago, ACADuser said:

Joe,

I can't seem to locate that one in the "Macro of the Month"

Can you tell me which month or send again. Thanks for your hard work.

Alan,

It's not a specific macro in the subscription.  It's something I do within any of my macros that calculate and display areas - specifically within Metric Plans. 

But all you need to do is create a new Non Evaluated macro named m2.

for the Value: just copy paste the following:

Here's a workaround solution for the living area display... 

The living area label actually acts like a normal label and there are a few attributes it will recognize such as layer, volume, and "internal_area" (not really sure what others as I haven't tested it that much).  Specifically though, the %internal_area% macro will display the living space.  It will result in only the area being displayed without units so you can add your own units.  Just select the living area label, add %internal_area% to the label and then place a crapload of carriage returns (newlines) to push the automatically created area label down out of the view...either that or just place a mask over the automatically created number.

The room area display is possible too but you have to use a custom macro in the actual room label for the area display and manually place a room label with the desired global macros for the rest.  

• 4 years later...