Floor assemblies with more than 2 vertical section components

ekshue

Is there a way to modify the floor assembly to include more than 2 components?  I see options to use floor joists and sheathing but I have a need to show gypcrete with radiant floor heat in my building sections and details as well.  I currently did a work-around by showing my flooring thickness as 2 1/8" (1 1/2" for gypcrete and 5/8" for a flooring material) but that does not properly capture the section I need.  Any ideas or direction would be appreciated. 

You need to "Add" layers rather than change the thicknesses.  You can do this in the Floor Finish or in the Floor Structure.  It's also possible to add an air space and Ceiling Joists below the Floor Joists in the Floor Structure in order to lower a ceiling below.

Thanks Joe.  I will have to re-look at the Floor Structure dialog box as I thought I reviewed that pretty thoroughly and did not see a way to add the desired third layer.  That would solve the issue.

Thanks again.

Joe,  I am just starting a project that is almost exactly the same except I have 2x3 sleepers above the subfloor with the gypcrete and radiant tubing in between.  Is it possible to have the sleepers ( 1.5" x 2.5" ) as a second framing layer on 19.2" centers?  What would the best approach be?

Ekshue, Check this out.

post-4797-0-53194800-1462222009_thumb.jpg

You can but the sleepers will be parallel to the Floor Joists, not perpendicular.  You also have to define the sleepers as a framing material with the 19.2" spacing and make sure the framing defaults use the material definition.

I would just use an air gap and then note the sleepers in the sections.

I still can't seem to locate where to add layers to the floor assembly.  I tried the Room Specification\Structure\Floor Structure Edit Button that takes you to the Floor Structure Definition pop-up.  There I see Layers 1 & 2 where you can type in the thickness of your components (TJIs & plywood) but I don't see how to actually add another layer for the 1 1/2" of gypcrete.  I also tried the same through the Edit Tab\Default Settings\Floor\Structure\Floor Structure Edit Button and I see the same info but no obvious way to add layers.  I am working on 2015 if that makes a difference.

I MIGHT BE WRONG BUT AM ASSUMING YOU ARE RUNNING "Chief Architect Premier X7" and I went back to check and this function "Floor Structure Definition" I believe is the same in X8 as X7.  So all you need to do to get a third layer is click the "Insert" button that I circled in red and then select a material over on the right side of the DBX ( Dialogue Box ) and set your 1 1/2" thickness on the new layer you have created.  I will search and see if I can find you a video on this for you. Do you have SSA?

I would also be glad to look at your plan for you if it is X6, X7, or X8.

P.S.  I just took a look at CA training video #10053 it is X5 and not SSA and there is a explanation of floor finish layers that functions essentially the same a floor structure layers. https://video.chiefarchitect.com/?search=floor+structure

I still can't seem to locate where to add layers to the floor assembly.  I tried the Room Specification\Structure\Floor Structure Edit Button that takes you to the Floor Structure Definition pop-up.  There I see Layers 1 & 2 where you can type in the thickness of your components (TJIs & plywood) but I don't see how to actually add another layer for the 1 1/2" of gypcrete.  I also tried the same through the Edit Tab\Default Settings\Floor\Structure\Floor Structure Edit Button and I see the same info but no obvious way to add layers.  I am working on 2015 if that makes a difference.

Since you are using HD Pro 2015 you should be posting your questions in the HD Forums.  Much of HD is the same as Chief Architect but not everything. 

Thanks Joe, I did not catch that one like you just did with all your wisdom and experience.

Ekshue, I will leave you in Eric's care if you are still stuck.  Maybe you could include some of your critical info in your signature so we can help you better next time.  Thanks.

Sorry, rookie mistake as I am running Home Designer Professional and it does not have the Floor Definition "Insert" button to add layers to a floor assembly.  I'll try posting to the HD Forum.  Thanks much.