stair knee-wall

johnny

Thanks - that worked! 

However, since we can't set a railings angle manually (which doesn't seem right) how can I have the rail sit over the re-shaped wall?  Is there where I will need to go back to the ramp?

Its really unfortunate how difficult this is to get correct. Getting a pretty picture or two is easy, but actually getting this correct - the way it truly will be built - isn't easy at all. Its so close...

post-75-0-28997600-1462172582_thumb.jpg

post-75-0-34193500-1462176145_thumb.jpg

post-75-0-46154600-1462176150_thumb.jpg

post-75-0-21816900-1462176155_thumb.jpg

post-75-0-36134600-1462176160_thumb.jpg

I would make a suggestion to CA to add knee wall staircases.... They are used by nearly every single track builder. And the amount of time spent to make them look similar is ridiculous. In the end of this stairs are the wrong size: 37.5 vs 33 due to inclusion of the wall.

• Upvote 1

I would make a suggestion to CA to add knee wall staircases.... They are used by nearly every single track builder. And the amount of time spent to make them look similar is ridiculous. In the end of this stairs are the wrong size: 37.5 vs 33 due to inclusion of the wall.

I agree - for their client base this would be a good addition.

However, the biggest problem with doing this in CA is the handrail since there isn't a way to build it without "following" the stairs (or ramp). The wall reshape isn't very difficult, and Bill used the "closed stringer" approach - but you don't get the "skirt boards" correct when you go that route. If we had the ability to use the rail tools and manually enter a rake (angle) manually this condition would be a breeze to build.

Absolutely!

I appreciate the cosmetic improvements we got in X8, but stairs still need a functional overhaul.

Johnny:  I wanted to avoid a major work around when I suggested dragging the stairs over the wall, but if you must have the stringer visible on the inside; you can copy and paste the stairway in place, and drag the copy out over the wall.  Using this method your stairway width can remain accurate.

Using a double stairway, or partial double stairs is a fairly common way to get around some of Chief's limitations. 

I appreciate the cosmetic improvements we got in X8, but stairs still need a functional overhaul.

I agree,  as stated above,  these kinds of stairs are the majority of my work.  I can do the work around,  but I would rather not.

BTW,   this has been requested many times.

I think we may be asking for something that really can't be done.  If you think about it, we need a wall to be generated through a dbx for stairs and quickly get into the whole "wall/room" paradigm...not to mention walls part of stair objects.

What we need to ask for (in my opinion) is:

1. Half wall tool being allowed to set angles and rake - very similar to the ramp tool.  Not to mention, being able to resize/break like we do other walls.

2. Railings being able to be set without stairs/ramp (angle/rise/run).

This would get us there, and something Chief can deliver now.

Why can't stairs have two additional check marks - knee wall on the left, knee wall on the right. If any options selected generate rails till the end of the wall or till wall break. Permit specifying molding over rake wall.

• 1 year later...
On 4/28/2016 at 8:02 PM, johnny said:

Another question - why isn't my "tread" width working out to be the same even though they are set the same?  bug?

post-75-0-40945300-1461888152_thumb.jpg

Hi, reviving this thread because I just used it to learn how to make this type of rake wall / railing, and found that if I deleted a few of the objects connected to your flat ramp (the full height walls, the landing), then hit "undo" to restore them, the tread overhang popped out to match the tread on the angled ramp.

It's weird but I have found that with CA sometimes you have to delete objects then undo the delete, to get it to fix a quirk.

I also got the effect by turning off "Treads" in the ramps, and specifying a bottom rail for the railing that was 3/4"H x 5 1/2"W, with "Raise Bottom" unchecked, which I have used often to generate a shoe plate on a flat railing. It didn't work at the connection of the two rails, however. It won't pass under a newel, and with newels turned off there is no baluster there. (See pic)

stairs.thumb.png.f05552a5f49cbe4989a39a6688642441.png)

I like the ramp technique for this problem. Thanks to everyone for the tips in this thread. :D