stair knee-wall

johnny

I am so close on getting the ramp too to work perfectly for my stair knee-wall.  I would much rather use this method over trying to manipulate a raked wall.

However, I have a couple obstacles can't solve.

1. I want only 1 handrail, so when I turn off a side of the rail, the balusters, newels aren't aligned to the center of the "ramp" (aka wall).

2. When i go to align the 2 segments of my "ramp" (raked following stairs and straight section at landing) my stairs disconnect from the landing.  Is the ramp trying to connect to the landing??...can I stop that?

Thanks!

post-75-0-97830000-1461883719_thumb.jpg

post-75-0-79214400-1461883724_thumb.jpg

post-75-0-92621300-1461883728_thumb.jpg

stairs.plan

What do you mean by "align" Johnny? I noticed that top ramp is slightly overlapping your landing (by a hair of a hair). Maybe that was causing your problem?

If you notice the handrail, balusters, etc aren't aligned to the center of the "ramp" - they are off to 1 side. This is due to the fact the ramp wants to place 2 railings on each side but I only want 1.

If you notice the handrail, balusters, etc aren't aligned to the center of the "ramp" - they are off to 1 side. This is due to the fact the ramp wants to place 2 railings on each side but I only want 1.

I understood that part.  I was trying to get clarification on question #2 regarding your issue with "aligning" the 2 segments.

I understood that part.  I was trying to get clarification on question #2 regarding your issue with "aligning" the 2 segments.

oh, that is a problem where if I get the edge of the "straight" ramp section too close to the edge of the landing it breaks my stairs for some reason.  Is there a way to lock the stairs?...

although if I can't fix #1 then this won't work and I suppose doesn't matter.

Okay, I figured it out. You're talking about when you drag that flat section of ramp back so that the leading edge is aligned with the leading edge of your landing (right at the apex). Sorry, I don't have an answer for you at this time. I'm really not even sure which stairs and landing it's referring to, are you? It actually happens even if you drag that little flat ramp way off to the side.

Yeah, I just dont see any way to make the handrail centered.  Too bad, this would have been a very nice and controllable solution.    Scott had a video for the condition, but the ramp would have been all too cool.

This type of knee-wall is probably the most common type of spec-home grade method for that condition.

Make the stair auto height off, to make the stairs stay where they are, also the landing should be free from automatic heights and depths once you have set your correct stair configuration.

To place the railings at the center of your wall, don't use the ramp railings, so simply make them off and use a manual railing that follow stairs/ramp. Just remember to make the new railing wall "no locate" and "no room definition" to let them placed on top of your walls if any.

Make the stair auto height off, to make the stairs stay where they are, also the landing should be free from automatic heights and depths once you have set your correct stair configuration.

To place the railings at the center of your wall, don't use the ramp railings, so simply make them off and use a manual railing that follow stairs/ramp. Just remember to make the new railing wall "no locate" and "no room definition" to let them placed on top of your walls if any.

I would kiss you if you were standing in front of me.

Another question - why isn't my "tread" width working out to be the same even though they are set the same? bug?

I don't think I am exactly getting the point. The red arrow is toward the ramp width? please make it some more clear about the tread width you are asking.

I don't think I am exactly getting the point. The red arrow is toward the ramp width?Mplease make it some more clear about the tread width you are asking.

He's referring to the "tread" on that short section of ramp forming what is essentially a wall cap.  Me thinks it has something to do with being in the vicinity of the other landing and stairs because you cut and paste those 2 sections of ramp into a blank plan and they work just fine...the "treads"/wall caps match and align.

He's referring to the "tread" on that short section of ramp forming what is essentially a wall cap.  Me thinks it has something to do with being in the vicinity of the other landing and stairs because you cut and paste those 2 sections of ramp into a blank plan and they work just fine...the "treads"/wall caps match and align.

Thanks Michael for clarifying the issue. I am not sure this one, but I think if the widths he is referring is from the ramp dbx, I am afraid those numbers are not actually exactly equal. So just drag and snap it manually. The ramp isn't accurately programmed because I have seen two ramps of the same rise/run where not exactly at the same height.

Well done all you guy's here for your dogged determination to get CA to get this to look right. Yusuf is the stair guru for sure. AS is the man for difficult trouble shooting. Johnnys patience to get this to look right. When I was younger and sharper I was willing to tackle these problems. This Is what I mean about being able to isolate elements so they don't interact with each other and if they do you can give one element priority over another or be able to lock an element. If we could get CA to do something like this, we would save lots of trouble shooting time with similar problems.

I used a railing tool this way you can align stairs. Just make your rails and follow stairs. Have to do some manual tweaking also.

Greg,  I am late to the party.  Is that a railing with balusters no room def sitting on a solid wall railing?

Would you mind posting that stair system?

Thanks

Greg,  I am late to the party.  Is that a railing with balusters no room def sitting on a solid wall railing?

Would you mind posting that stair system?

Thanks

That is the stairs I posted above.  I saw your vid on that knee-wall condition but thought a ramp would be more controllable and you don't have to then have the railing converted into a symbol.  Therefore the railing can connect to other rails.

Scott, I used his ramp with a railing tool following the steps. You had a video a while back of what you talking about a railing sitting on solid wall framing. I like doing it that way you have more control over it.

In this case I just used his plan and and used railing tool.

You had a video a while back of what you talking about a railing sitting on solid wall framing. I like doing it that way you have more control over it.

The serious downside to the wall method is the rail no longer has edit-ability, and it doesn't connect to other rails.

Here's another take on the subject.  There's no need to go to a work around,  when a Chief Stair will work here nicely.

I've simply used a closed stairway that has been extended over the outside wall, centering the railing on the wall.

I've copied the outside wall to the basement below and edited it to cover the notch that chief cuts in the outside stringer.

I've also added a molding polyline to cap the rake wall.

post-62-0-79276700-1462052862_thumb.jpg

stairs (2).plan

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Is there a way to control the outside stringer width?

What Chief is calling a "stringer" is really a "skirt" in this instance - so I never thought that could control what it does.  Although...there is no option for the landing to have a "stringer/skirt", but I suppose a poly-solid would work fine.

After playing around with it, I do agree re-shape of the wall is a better approach for several reasons....however, control of the rail so it works beyond just that first stair section hasn't been possible for me without a separate, manual, railing - and getting it to "follow" the stairs has been a challenge.

Its like both methods have their strengths but neither is optimum.