Cabinet Lift Door in Elevation

Adam_Gibson

It's nice that we no longer have to manually draw opening indicators for top-hinged doors. But I'm having a hard time with the attached. How would something like this be displayed in elevation, both front and side? Also, how to specify that the cabinet hits the ceiling so the door must stop before hitting? Any help would be appreciated!

post-286-0-75110700-1461859297_thumb.jpg

I think I would probably leave the opening indicators off and draw a side detail showing how the doors open. Something roughly like this (maybe with the hinges drawn in as well)... post-46-0-81364100-1461863775_thumb.jpg

You could draw that door open to any point you want and could add an angular dimension and/or CAD line(s) showing your desired maximum opening angle/dimension/plane.

Either that or simply note the desired door hardware and limitations in the cabinet notes or on the front elevation detail. I guess it would partially depend on how you normally draw up your cabinet plans and who you are drawing them for.

I would show the indicators the same as for a bifold door.  Basically that's what you have just turned 90 degrees.  You would still need to provide a note (probably in the Cabinet Schedule) but for Elevation purposes showing it as if it was 2 top hinged doors would be appropriate.

I would show the indicators the same as for a bifold door.  Basically that's what you have just turned 90 degrees.  You would still need to provide a note (probably in the Cabinet Schedule) but for Elevation purposes showing it as if it was 2 top hinged doors would be appropriate.

I would have to respectfully disagree (especially for the subject at hand).  To each his own, but I find opening indicators on bifold doors to be potentially very confusing and misleading unless you know exactly whats going on (i.e. you still need the side elevation or plan view representation to clarify anyway). 

Just checked, looks like I leave indicators off- If I wanted them I'd likely use a top hinge on bottom (to get hardware) and a door panel on top. I don't like drawing in opening indicators.

Then I just call out the hinge and which restrictor (if one is needed) on the order and often also in the schedule. For clients I always include a plan with plain English notations for what is going on so lift door type is there.

I also make a side section showing the ceiling with open doors drawn in. I use that to check that nothing hits, do that for every type of lift door. If I can't prevent it hitting with an available restrictor I won't use the hinge.

Here's what I ended up with. The front elevation didn't convert the white-out, but I whited out the top-hinge opening indicators on the the upper door sections and drew in my own showing a center hinge. And showed a side view.  Thanks for all the suggestions. 

post-286-0-06004200-1462209852_thumb.jpg

post-286-0-30721300-1462209999_thumb.jpg