simple rotate problem

johnny

Its just kinda crazy I can't figure this out.  For some reason I can't simply rotate a section of objects - a fireplace detail i want to use in other plans.  I'm just so tired of running into this kind of thing over and over and over and over again.  Does it ever end?

inept.plan

I agree it is a problem.  A MAJOR problem.  In my opinion, it is the weakest point of the program.  It comes up a lot when you have a series of psolid objects blocked to create a bracket for instance.  I'm not sure why some groupings can be rotated and others can not but this problem cuts into productivity.  No solution, but I feel your pain.

• Upvote 1

I Believe some of the rotate problems we've been having lately (specifically in X8) are actually a bug and I have reported at least one of them.  For now though...

Johnny,  I think the only way you'll be able to get those items to rotate is by using Edit Area.  You'll need to explode the architectural blocks for those pilasters (or whatever their rightful title is) though.

From Help:

Architectural vs CAD Blocks

Just as there are two types of objects in Chief Architect, architectural and CAD, there are two types of blocks. See Architectural vs CAD Objects.

Architectural objects such as cabinets and fixtures can be included in architectural blocks, while CAD objects such as lines, arcs, text and dimensions can be included in CAD blocks. See CAD Blocks.

Knowing the differences between these two types of blocks helps you decide which type of block can best meet your needs.

A CAD block can include and also be nested in a larger block with CAD objects, text and dimensions, but cannot include or be blocked with architectural objects.

An architectural block can include and also be nested in a larger block with architectural objects, but cannot include or be blocked with CAD objects, text or dimensions.

I believe the walls being included is the problem.  I think the walls are what is referred to as "architectural objects" while most of the rest of your FP objects can be blocked and rotated together.  A little experimentation should prove/disprove this.

Johnny,

I apologize, I didn't actually watch your video before responding.  It looks like you tried Edit Area already.  Not sure what you did differently than me, but for me it works just fine.  

Even when I explode it doesn't work.  You're saying on your system it worked?...now I am really perplexed.  What could be diff about my system?..i downloaded the new update yesterday so I am fully current.

I believe the walls being included is the problem.  I think the walls are what is referred to as "architectural objects" while most of the rest of your FP objects can be blocked and rotated together.  A little experimentation should prove/disprove this.

Yep, the walls keeps me from blocking.  Your idea about the reflect seemed to work for me in this instance, since I was trying to go 180 deg.  However, I have other objects for this plan I need to rotate just 90 degree and reflect doesn't work.

Even when I explode it doesn't work.  You're saying on your system it worked?...now I am really perplexed.  What could be diff about my system?..i downloaded the new update yesterday so I am fully current.

I was able to reproduce your issue by rotating 180 degrees in a single action.  Doesn't seem to be a problem if you stop at 90 degrees then continue.  Past 90 seems to be the killer.  Looks like a bug to me and I think you should report it.  The issue rotating architectural blocks containing polyline solids that were produced in an elevation view is also a bug I believe and I have already reported it. 

Here's plan views and full camera views of the FP before and after using Edit Area:

post-191-0-51998000-1461782870_thumb.jpg     post-191-0-56389100-1461782904_thumb.jpg     post-191-0-97546700-1461782935_thumb.jpg     post-191-0-89472500-1461782965_thumb.jpg

Didn't go looking for the frame around the TV.  The corner columns didn't rotate correctly .... everything but the electrical appears to be squared up .... I will let Johnny figure that out.

Edit:  And obviously the mantel was stolen!

C J, I just seem to get confused why we are all doing the same thing using the same plan and the same software and getting different results. I noticed that you are using a SSD. Do you think it is too fast for the software? I often think that a SSD is like the farmers son borrowing the pickup truck with the V8 in it, and when he comes back all the tools have fallen out of the back.

I went ahead and submitted this to tech support.  I really encourage all of us to submit this type of stuff when we run into it or else we have no reason to complain when it doesn't get fixed.  Here's what I submitted...

"I have attached a plan drawn up by another Chief user. In it there are a group of various objects in the center of the room forming a fireplace detail. The goal was to rotate the objects as a group.

The only way I know of to rotate a group of unlike objects like that is using Edit Area. No problem right? Wrong.

Using Edit Area there are 2 problems that arise.

1. (and I have already submitted this issue to you guys) is that we currently have a problem rotating polyline solids that were created in an elevation view and then blocked. If you try to rotate the group of items in the attached plan you'll see that there are 2 architectural blocks that remain unchanged. Those blocks can be exploded and rotated but not rotated as a block.

2. You'll see that if you try to rotate that entire group of objects beyond 90 degrees that all polyline solids in the group will be displaced way outside the room. If you only rotate 90 degrees or less at a time there is no problem. Only seems to be an issue with polyline solids though."

• 2 years later...

Wow....I've tried it all and NOTHING works!  I have spent scads of time creating a very detailed wall unit.  Created an architectural block, just so I could move it, etc. in one fell swoop.  No dice.  VERY frustrating!

2 hours ago, Richard_Morrison said:

I just tried "Edit Area" on Johnny's plan, and it worked just fine, including rotating.  

Yeah, this is an older thread.  It appears to me they fixed it in x10 since its now working for me as well.  Perhaps the person that revived the thread is working with an older version of Chief where this was a problem.  Although, I will note it was an odd bug that seemed to not be consistent (if you note the comments in the thread).