Ray trace still checkered screen after 10 minutes

freshrooms

I am needing to ray trace some images and after 10 minutes the screen is still the checkered image.  I am trying to do just some quick ones to evaluate and correct lighting etc.  Shouldn't I be seeing an image after 10 minutes?  What could be happening?

Remember that whole new world out there of SketchUp imports? You may have found one of the side effects, so to speak. You have to be careful bringing some items in from the 3D warehouse, sometimes even little things like round lamps, or once a candlestick caused me grief. They can tend to have high facecounts, which can slow down your rendering and RayTracing capabilities. 

Yes, I think you are on to something Joey... everything has slowed down since the new world arrived.  Ugh.  I just ray traced a plain room with nothing but a staircase, and voila, after 3 minutes, the image appeared.  Now what?  I am going to try and take out all of the fancy stuff from the camera view I want to ray trace by turning off that layer, get the lighting to an acceptable level, then put the fancies back in and just figure it will take awhile.  Do you think that is a valid approach?

Thanks Dave.  I have watched her videos in the past.  I just did a tiny ray trace in 3 min and it worked great.  Thank you for that tip!  I am mainly an interior designer and was thrilled to realize the wealth of images available from that 3D warehouse, but the slowing down of progress using them is a real problem.  Any suggestions on that front?

Not all of them will cause issues, and I think I remember someone finding a way to reduce the number of faces when the item is imported. If memory serves, it's generally round or rounded objects that cause issues. I import things all the time from the warehouse, so not all is lost. 

I've used (and posted) mesh reduction software. There are some freebies. Not at computer and that is on old machine so you have to search the Web. I don't use it often but wasn't too bad to deal with.

Just check supported fie formats, you may need to convert.

Can import SU to a new plan then export to 3ds which should give him more options. (which might reduce count just doing that? Don't remember)

I am needing to ray trace some images and after 10 minutes the screen is still the checkered image.  I am trying to do just some quick ones to evaluate and correct lighting etc.  Shouldn't I be seeing an image after 10 minutes?  What could be happening?

Amie,

Remember that when you RayTrace your CPU is spiking to 100% usage (your video card is not involved int he process)  and if you have an older, slower CPU it just plain takes a long time to RayTrace. What are your computer spec's? That might help track down the speed issue but sadly there's no cure for a slow CPU when RayTracing.

And what is your name? That won't help with the issue but will help us address you in a more personal manner. EDIT: Found it on your web site, Amie.