Ceiling Joist Question

Diamond-built

This is what he asking for. I would, in return, ask him for a waiver of liability when the sag becomes so bad that his ceiling fails.

I would have to double check...but I am not even sure a 9 1/4" I-Joist would span that.

*Why are trusses not an option?

post-70-0-12576900-1461761572_thumb.jpg

Joey, I think you are on the wrong chart. I suspect the reason for avoiding trusses (which would probably be a cheaper and easier to build with) is that this "loft" area is going to be used for storage. Therefore, the floor joist table would be more appropriate.

......is that this "loft" area is going to be used for storage. .....

Alan,  that space above the ceiling joists,  especially where there is a wide span,  hence a high ridge,  is never used for storage.........  it is usually used for an unpermitted second floor.

Just goofing guys,  it's early in the morning,  a little humor to start the day.

Tail wagging dog, in construction industry again. Strangest remodel I went out on was in attic to find out where to bring stairs up. What was in attic, you ask. His table saw and other shop stuff. Home owner had all ready begun moving in to attic. You guested it, I am just a building designer and ran as fast as I could.........

Once you have the ceiling joists set in place, simply place a general framing member on top of them by setting the correct height, then add another and rotate it. 

You could, if need be, add a couple CAD lines with a note and detail call out and simply make a detail of the needed connection.

It's a fairly painless process though.

post-70-0-31648700-1461850703_thumb.jpg

post-70-0-33886700-1461850710_thumb.jpg