2 Dimension Questions

johnny

Hey guys - a couple quick questions.

1. How do I get interior dimensions to NOT place a tick on each side of the wall? ...the obvious option doesn't seem to work.

2. How do I get auto-exterior dimension to ignore clerestory windows?

Johnny,

I think you will find that setting only applies to how the interior dimension displays when it locates an exterior wall - it doesn't apply to interior walls when you use an Interior Dim. 

You can do what you want by checking Primary Wall Side and then using the normal Manual Dimension tool - don't use the Interior Dimension tool.

The auto exterior dim tool won't dim windows that are placed on a Vertical Stacking Level greater than 0.

So change the Vertical Stacking Level.

Thanks Glenn you nailed my questions. On the subject of dimensions, I am trying to setup my default plan to work the way you set me the example plan to look at. I can't find the setting that regulates the distance the extension lines start at - as you have in your files. Also, right now Chief produces 3 dimension segments, however I would really like to edit what those segments dimension. Is there a more specific area to change this other than defaults? Thanks again for all your help.

dimensions.plan

Those defaults are decided by whichever Annotation Set you have activated when you place those auto dimensions and therefore by the dimension defaults assigned to that anno set...post-46-0-08267500-1461713013_thumb.png

Note:  Just a quick FYI...but you can select any of those auto dimension line(s) and change the setting I have circled after the fact if you want to. 

I am trying to setup my default plan to work the way you set me the example plan to look at. I can't find the setting that regulates the distance the extension lines start

Johnny,

It's a combination of:

Setup panel...1st Line Offset and then in conjunction with Extensions panel...Length Toward Marked Object.

In the Auto Exterior Dimension Defaults, you can specify an Overall Dimension or not.

There are a maximum of three rows of automatically generated dimensions per exterior wall direction. The innermost dimension line locates exterior walls, interior walls, and all openings in exterior walls. The second dimension line locates exterior and interior walls. The outermost dimension line is the overall exterior dimension.