Crazy Elevations

English

Go to solution Solved by Alaskan_Son,

I was trying to align the face of the sheathing with the face of the brick veneer on the foundation but no matter what I do it doesn't.  According to the manual the faces of the first item on the Main layers of each wall are supposed to align.  Also I have crazy elevations with gaps between the top of the foundation and the bottom of the some of the first floor walls was well between the first and second floors.

I thought I was not doing something right so I opened a test plan and with the sheathing the first item on the main layer of the first floor and the brick veneer the first item on the foundation layer they align perfectly as per the manual.  However using the same setting in my main plan they do not.

Could someone take a look at my plan and see what is going wrong and why those gaps.  Here are screenshots showing what I mean.

Thanks

Alan

post-8283-0-36116900-1461608616_thumb.pngpost-8283-0-81718500-1461608635_thumb.pngpost-8283-0-84784000-1461608648_thumb.pngpost-8283-0-80308800-1461608661_thumb.png

DAVE.plan

First things first, you have your exterior walls set to Build Platform To Exterior Of Layer: Tan1 Siding. That's whats causing those gaps. Your floor platform is framing to the absolute exterior of your structure and because you don't have any framing displayed, you're just seeing a gap. Change the Build Platform setting to the appropriate layer and you should be good to go.

• Solution

Second, I've said it before and I'll say it again, Main Layers are NOT all that come into play, specifically with regard to the foundation. The Foundation To Exterior Of Layer setting for your main floor walls is more important when it comes to foundations. Whatever item that is will align with the outermost edge of your foundation wall's MAIN layer(s).

Two more items that can immediately come into play...

-Whether or not your walls are actually aligned. If you make any changes to your wall types you may very well have to click "Align With The Wall Above (or Below)".

-The Foundation Offset setting.

I've been thinking a video regarding wall layer settings and alignment issues might be in order. Maybe if I have a chance sometime this week I'll make one.

Michael

I did read the section on walls in the manual but I guess I didn't research the "Build Foundation to Exterior.....".   All I was concentrating on was the Main layer to main layer.  I was under the impression that as long as the main layer for each wall was what I wanted to align then all would be good.

Thanks for pointing that out -- I'll go back and read up on that subject.

Alan

Eric

Wow you fixed my roof.  I had something like that but couldn't get the junction of the gable roof with the second floor wall (the one over the front of the garage) to play nice.

BTW how did you create the band that separates the first and second floors?

Thanks

Alan

• 1 year later...

I am having a similar problem and glad to start narrowing it down through this post.  I can't get the framing set in the right place so assume it has to do with the Platform setting but I don't have any other layer option than #1, which is the exterior brick.  See image of Wall Type Definitiion.  Will post file if that is needed.