Forum Posting Issues

Chopsaw

This issue has also been causing me a lot of lost time and patience when doing Forum searches I am quite consistently unable to return to my search results after reading a Thread and given this message.  I think this issue may also be related to the others.

Is this happening to anyone else?  Now is the time to get it Resolved so please comment.

Thanks, Chopsaw

This has happened to me only "for ever!" - so frustrating. I usually use IE for Chieftalk (on IE11 right now on Win 7 and it still does it). I go and do a search on the forum, read a post that looks promising, hit the return to results - "page expired." Now, I always ctrl C my search text before I go to any results. At least that saves some typing; but still frustrating. I have Chrome and may try it as Dan suggested.

Mike

Dan, use this method for testing: Start writing and spend at least 5 minutes with the "Reply to this topic" open, then hit "More Reply Options", add an image file then try to post. This is the typical scenario where the world loses connection to my infinite wisdom (if only that Brexit post had gone through....)

P.S. I am using Firefox.

This has happened to me only "for ever!" - so frustrating. I usually use IE for Chieftalk (on IE11 right now on Win 7 and it still does it). I go and do a search on the forum, read a post that looks promising, hit the return to results - "page expired." Now, I always ctrl C my search text before I go to any results. At least that saves some typing; but still frustrating. I have Chrome and may try it as Dan suggested.

Mike

The reason for this is that when you search for results the page that is returned is set to not cache. If you search again you would get different results. IE and Edge browsers by Microsoft don't show the results when you go back to a page that was created as a result of a search. It's how the browsers are designed.

Other browsers choose to display the results you had even though they are no longer valid and don't display the message that your results might be out of date.

Either method could be considered correct depending on your point of view.

This issue of the page being expired is not likely the cause for the lost posts, however, if you do click back from a post in most browsers you will loose your text. That's not the scenario I see being described. If it is the scenario then my advice is don't click back from a post and expect it to be there when you return.

post-6-0-81764800-1467044379_thumb.png

Dan, use this method for testing: Start writing and spend at least 5 minutes with the "Reply to this topic" open, then hit "More Reply Options", add an image file then try to post. This is the typical scenario where the world loses connection to my infinite wisdom (if only that Brexit post had gone through....)

P.S. I am using Firefox.

Mike, I tried your test on my previous post.

When I attempted to attach the file it displayed a 302 error. I used the basic uploader and it appears to have worked. I didn't loose my post. I'll take a hard look at this later and see if I can reproduce the problem in a test environment.

Dan and Mike (Ridge_Runner),

Thank you for sharing your experience and knowledge with the search issue.  I am also running windows 7 with I.E. 11 and was getting the exact same scenario as Mike when searching a topic on ChiefTalk.

I have since loaded Google Chrome and am getting much better results and a predictable patterns on ChiefTalk such as you would expect with a general internet search through Google where you enter a search criteria and are given a listing of results then open one of the search results to read then be able to use the Back arrow or button to return to the original search results.

I now believe that the two issues are not likely related and will continue testing the Posting Issues with Goggle Chrome to see if that makes any difference.  However since these problems have already been reported with Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer, I am not too hopeful.  I don't believe we have heard from anyone using Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 or any other browsers for that matter regarding the Posting Issues.

I did malware and virus scans with Window Defender as well as Windows Security Essentials and both came up clean.

Thanks, Chopsaw

Not sure this will be helpful to your cause Chopsaw, but I haven't been having the problem for some time now.  I actually spent nearly half an hour recently with the reply window open and my post went through with no problem at all.  FWIW, that was in the middle of the night (couldn't sleep so I got up and played around on the computer).  I'm using Firefox. 

I still suspect some of the problems may be connectivity related. 

When you click the post button it will be disabled for subsequent clicks until you get a reply back from the server.

Thank You Michael,  I think it is still related to a connectivity issue as well, as this is what Dan seems to be working on.  The time of day also seems to be a factor as most of the Traffic on ChiefTalk seem to be during North American business hours and corresponding evenings with the exception of Michael, Glenn and I with a few others.  Hope you start sleeping better Michael.

We did some more investigation today and fixed an issue where a security token was getting deleted prematurely.

This created a situation where clicking the post button would not submit your post.

The problem would occur about 1 hour after you log in, and each hour afterward.

For those experiencing the problem where the post button does not work, please log out and then back in, and let us know what your experiences are.

Things were going well there for a while Dan but this afternoon when things were busy I had a post open for at least 45  min and hit the "More Reply Options" button only to have my entire post wiped out and got kicked back to the Main Chief Talk Forum page and then when I navigated back to the Thread I was posting on, no auto save whatsoever.  Thankfully I have gotten into the habit of  CTRL + C almost all of the time now.  Especially frustrating when the test plan I was working in also crashed.

Dan, Sorry these things seem to happen to me at the most inopportune time but I was using IE 11 and had been logged in for likely several hours and did not have to use my username or password.

We made a change to another setting that should help solve this problem. This is a different issue than the one we reproduced and modified last week on the authentication server.

Please report back if you see any more problems.

Thanks!

The PM messages are private in the sense that only users who have access to them are able to view them.

I am only looking at the access logs, filtered on your IP address, to see if I can spot what is happening.

Unfortunately, the logs did not reveal anything I can use.

If anyone else is experiencing posting issues please be sure to let us know.

Hi Dan,  It seems like you have spent quite a bit of time combing over your system and it's settings.  If by next week I am the only one having issues maybe I could run a few more Traceroute tests for you at different times like I sent to Brian and look into that, or maybe it could be my system.

Thanks,  Chopsaw

For what it's worth, I have had zero problems recently using Firefox so it seems like something must've been changed/fixed during the last couple weeks. I've spent in inordinate amount of time on a couple posts recently too and they posted just fine.

Thanks for the feedback. I do believe we have found and fixed two issues that were responsible for some of the issues.

I can't help but believe there may be more issues we don't know about on our end. The fact that others are not reporting issues makes the problem seem to be specific to the computer doing the browsing or the browser itself.