Historic Brick Firehouse - Rhode Island

otisbradley

Hi 

This is an 1887 Victorian Firehouse - called "Hose Station # 8"

I used to own it - regret letting it go!

Doing an as built - lots of challenges 

Windows - can't seem to get them to recess - it's a brick supporting wall structure - guess I need another wall inside to recess windows?  Also notice the sill and lintels

Brickwork - lots of detailed corbeling - thinking applying mouldings is the way to do this

I saw an article about creating a brick and then applying it to mouldings - best way to do this ?

Door - notice the detail in the big door - for the horse drawn firewagons !

How am I going to get all the little window lites ?

Thanks for your help

Otis

post-3675-0-56239200-1461545862_thumb.jpg

post-3675-0-28370300-1461545891_thumb.jpg

Here are a couple more ideas that you might consider. Some you may have already tried and realized their current limitations. I don't have much experience with moldings so I cant say how well that will work but if it does not you can apply a brick material to a polyline solid that can be made the size of an individual brick and manipulated with Transform and replicate with great precision. The arches can be done by carefully rotating around the center x&y co-ordinates of your arc. Mortar can be done with a polyline solid backer recessed a bit from the bricks so you only need one piece for each segment or area. This technique will take some time to master but should give you the results you need for your situation. Not sure what your experience level is with Chief or what version you are running but if you have more questions just ask. How do you like your 8700?

P.S. Your windows sills should be able to be done with a custom sill within the window DBX.

post-4797-0-71763800-1461565539_thumb.jpg

post-4797-0-34895500-1461565570_thumb.jpg

post-4797-0-87501800-1461565597_thumb.jpg

post-4797-0-06106000-1461565643_thumb.jpg

post-4797-0-88631900-1461568515_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Otis:

Hi, we have a similar firehouse here in NF that needs restoration

https://www.facebook.com/HighlandFireHouse/

awhile back there were some pics on EBAY that caught my eye

until I realized the building was in RI, but used the word NIAGARA

seems lots of fire dept's across the country called themselves NIAGARA

Lew

Thanks Lew - where's NF ? North Fork - LI ?

Newport had - I think - 10 brick firehouses built in the 1880's - state of the art "fireproof" only problem was "technology" changed - there was a race in town a few years later - the new engines won and all the buildings became obsolete and sold off

Cheers

Here are a couple more ideas that you might consider. Some you may have already tried and realized their current limitations. I don't have much experience with moldings so I cant say how well that will work but if it does not you can apply a brick material to a polyline solid that can be made the size of an individual brick and manipulated with Transform and replicate with great precision. The arches can be done by carefully rotating around the center x&y co-ordinates of your arc. Mortar can be done with a polyline solid backer recessed a bit from the bricks so you only need one piece for each segment or area. This technique will take some time to master but should give you the results you need for your situation. Not sure what your experience level is with Chief or what version you are running but if you have more questions just ask. How do you like your 8700?

P.S. Your windows sills should be able to be done with a custom sill within the window DBX.

Thanks Chopsaw 

Found this - looks interesting and time consuming!

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00797/creating-a-soldier-course.html

The 8700 has been great !  Every computer gets light years better but the programs always seem to require more - vicious cycle - great program !

Using 7 and 8 a couple of years with CA 

but 30 all in from paper to CAD !

thx

Wow!! Thanks or finding the article.  Just at a quick glance it looks like I did all that cad polyline solid work but did not bother to create the symbol because it was a one off.  I will do some more reading and try to digest that one. 

Posting problem again. https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/9308-forum-posting-issues/

Otis, Just wondering how you are making out with the job and would love to see you post a few ray traces when you are done. My 8700 decided to take a "timeout" this morning after working all night on a video. A little shocking when it flashes a blue screen for 3 seconds with enough text that it would take 30 seconds to read and 30 minutes or more to understand then shuts down without warning. Hope it does not try that again!