Historic door and window casings

freshrooms

It appears to me the head and leg casing looks the same (so choose or make the profile and set the casing style), but there is a rosette and plinth block detail.  Just bring in the rosette and plinth block as a symbol.(each separate).  There are rosette's in the library, but you may need to make your own or search the 3d warehouse (sketchup).  You can manually place those thereafter.

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model.html?id=u1965f32a-e608-477e-9e9f-dec95d9fbddc

(you will need to add the trim under and above the rosette)

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model.html?id=6526f6d287a537ec7a670d53787514ba

(you will need to customize obviously if you want it exact)

Agreed with Johnny's method.

Case the window as usual, and place a rosette with enough thickness to cover the molding.

You can get many things at the 3d warehouse.... Just download the object, and the drag it into you floor plan.

(If you have two screens this is a very easy process to drag from your desktop monitor straight into you chief monitor).

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model.html?id=u1965f32a-e608-477e-9e9f-dec95d9fbddc

It appears to me the head and leg casing looks the same (so choose or make the profile and set the casing style), but there is a rosette and plinth block detail.  Just bring in the rosette and plinth block as a symbol.(each separate).  There are rosette's in the library, but you may need to make your own or search the 3d warehouse (sketchup).  You can manually place those thereafter.

(you will need to add the trim under and above the rosette)

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model.html?id=6526f6d287a537ec7a670d53787514ba

(you will need to customize obviously if you want it exact)

I made the casing, but should those three windows be mulled?  When they are mulled the casing is just placed on the outside of all three windows.  I need that five inch casing also on the two sections on the inside.  I also made the rosette and saved it as an architectural block and using it is very slow.  Should I be saving it a different way??  I haven't learned how to import sketch up symbols yet, should probably get on that....

I made the casing, but should those three windows be mulled?  When they are mulled the casing is just placed on the outside of all three windows.  I need that five inch casing also on the two sections on the inside.  I also made the rosette and saved it as an architectural block and using it is very slow.  Maybe it should be a symbol instead?  I haven't learned how to import sketch up symbols yet, should probably get on that....

No, they should not be mulled.  keep them separate, and remember that back then framing members were true dimensions - not nominal.  If that is a 2x4 wall, then there are one or two studs between the windows with room for the frame (R/O).  The leg/mullion casing is designed to cover both the span of the studs and partially the window frame.  I have no idea how accurate you need to be though.

Okay, still confused about how to place the casing though.  The windows are so close together, Chief wants to put the casing around two windows together.  I do not need to be accurate with the framing, just need to make it "look pretty good".  I am getting there, but am compromising because I don't know how to get it just right...

Okay, still confused about how to place the casing though.  The windows are so close together, Chief wants to put the casing around two windows together.  I do not need to be accurate with the framing, just need to make it "look pretty good".  I am getting there, but am compromising because I don't know how to get it just right...

You need to set the window separation to the correct dimension.  You want your windows to "connect" such that it makes a mull in the middle, but you need to make sure that mull is the right width.

Here is a different take on the subject that can give you a great deal of flexibility, with a fair amount of automation.

I tend to use native Chief windows (not custom symbols), but I can gain flexibility in design by using the treatment tab, and in particular curtains.  I make custom symbols for the rosettes, and sometimes the casings.  This allows the corner blocks to rise above the casing, and it allows for almost any ornate trim or casing.  Even tapered casings are possible.  The windows with these special casings can be placed in the library and placed in the plan.  They will resize in width automatically, and  will resize in height with a little adjustment of the treatment DBX.

For the doors, I tend to use a doorway symbol that will resize, and take on different configurations.  The reason that I tend to use symbols for the doors is that the doors have no treatment tab.  The exterior doors I've included in this plan are simply Chief doors with plant on rosettes and plinth, but the interior doors are custom doorway symbols.

Attached is a plan for anyone who wants to experiment with this

Rosette Curtain treatment.plan

post-62-0-88263200-1461539356_thumb.jpg

post-62-0-06318700-1461539817_thumb.jpg

Thanks to all!  I have cobbled together a plan that will serve my needs, but still need learn how to make custom symbols, how to use the "curtain treatments" and also how to download sketch up files into Chief....  Can someone direct me to some tutorials to learn?  Pressed for time on this project, but will dig in asap to improve my skills!