Version 8 upgrade?

JCHenryArchitect

I have used V8 for several years only to create plan layouts.  I export to AutoCad to finish.

I tried the first upgrade and the handles bugged the heck out of me.
Now my XP computer with the dongle (remember those, ha?) just bit the dust.

Do the old files import into any new program and what would you recommend upgrading to?
Is there any other way to keep V8 and use a current MS10 software computer?
Also, there are some consumer Chief versions out there I just noticed.

Will any of these import my V8 files?
Thanks for any help,

JH

As you know Version 8 is rather old. I have Version 7, 9.5, 10 and other later versions that run on a hard drive that i have installed Windows XP. Part of my business is to help those who still use older versions. My other hard drive has Windows 10 and all the more later versions starting with X1-X8.

Version 8 was one of the worst earlier versions IMHO, so I was glad to see it go. If you still have your installation media you should be able to install it on a PC that runs XP, that is your best bet. It will NOT run in Windows 10, 7 or Vista. If somehow you do get to run, it will not be reliable in those Operating systems, only Xp will work with any kind of realiability.

DJP

there are some consumer Chief versions out there I just noticed.

Will any of these import my V8 files?

JH:

probably best to ask CA's customer service

but I think the answer is yes

getting HD PRO will bring you into the 21st century

and probably be light years ahead of ver 8

I started with ver 9.5 and it is an "antique"

Lew

Thanks for the response and assistance.  I was looking at the scsi interface on the dongle.  I found a contraption that might work to connect to a usb: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adaptec-USBxchange-HD-50-PIN-SCSI-to-USB-adapter-EXC-COND-/301915294858?hash=item464b8dcc8a:g:CIQAAOSweW5VPV21

The problem still is that the V8 works only with XP.... ah well.

Customer support at Chief claims that none of the consumer versions will open my V8 files.

SO...

I am looking for an upgrade that will be used only to create the floor plan, nothing else.  Any ideas in this direction?

Thank you

JC, this sounds like a complete waste of your time to just draw walls with Chief and then port to ACAD. Why are you not drawing in ACAD from the start? Chiefs power is in that it is a 3d based program. And the question must come to the table, why not just use Chief to do it all?

JC:

I agree with Alan ???

if that is all you need then get one of CA's $79 HD products

but I think they can only export in .DXF

check the comparison chart on CA's website for the HD products

or call CA's sales dept

SCSI ???

I used to use that a lot but again an antique now :)

Lew

Athenian is correct in that Chief Premier (any version) can be opened in the latest version of Chief Premier (version 18) and then reprogrammed to be edited in current Home Designer titles. The main drawback is that the largest layout sheet that Home Designer Pro can do is 18" x 24" and you must create a different layout file for each printed page. Home Designer Pro costs only $495.00 but it is not as able as even Chief Architect Version 8, especially in terms of its layout file and paper size.

Chief Architect X8 can be rented by the month for $199.00 if you do not want to drop $2,800.00 for the full thing.

DJP

but it is not as able as even Chief Architect Version 8

David:

It's been over a decade since I used ver 9.5

but I would think that the current version of HD PRO

would be far more advanced than Chief 8

even with the limit on layout size

especially since layout at 1/8" scale then doubled at print shop can give 36 x 48

1 page at a time limit while an inconvenience is not a showstopper

and it sounds like the OP is not even interested in layout

Lew

I don't print or plot anything typically.  I send out pdf files to my clients to approve/review the plan layouts.  I do not do my own CAD work, never intended to.  I export to AutoCAD for my chief draftsperson to finish the set.  I draw the elevations by hand.  You can see some of my work here: http://www.dreamhomedesignusa.com

I appreciate all your comments very much.  The customer service people at CA said that none of the consumer versions will import V8  files.  I will look into HD Pro if it can import my old files.

Thank you

What has to happen is your old files must be opened and saved in a version of Chief Architect Premier and while opened in Chief the file can also be "Programmed to be edited in Home Designer Software Titles". There is no way to shortcut this process, the old files must go through a more current version of Chief first before being enabled for Home Designer.

What you could consider doing is to rent Chief (current version) for a month ($199.00) , use it to open-save and program for use in HD Pro 2017 ($495.00) and there after scale views for 1/8" scale and format the layout  page for 11" x 17", print to PDF and then have your print service upsize 200% to print to Architectural "D" sized paper (24" x 36") you would just have to remember to annotate with the upsizing in mind.

DJP

Lew, version 8 can print to any paper size, it has a multi-page layout file. HD Pro you have to format one layout file for each printed page and your largest paper size is 18" x 24". Those two limiting factors make Chief Architect Version 8 superior especially for this person's uses (Layout only)

DJP

David, that is an interesting idea.  I could re-save all files I have -- on the newer Chief software to then open in the consumer software... whew.  What a mess.

I think I will try to get my motherboard fixed or repaired to work in XP again.

I have ordered a consumer version which could do the simple floor planning for new projects but cannot retrieve the old Chief files to make modifications to existing plans.  Which is not optimal.

Thank you again.

David:

yes, but create the 18 x 24 at 1/8 scale \

then print at 200% to get 1/4 scale on 36 x 48

yes, 1 page at a time layout

I would expect the many, many, new features of current HD PRO

to be light years ahead of Chief ver 8

Lew