Q on exporting to DWG

OldCKD

A client has requested that I send him my file as a DWG so he can pass all of the changes I made on to the architectural designer (I've only been hired to do the interior design and kitchen design on this job; the other designer is producing the construction documents for the client).

My current file includes lots of extraneous layers that won't be necessary for the arch. designer - things like furniture and interior accessories, etc.  If I create a duplicate plan file and delete all the unnecessary layers will that keep the DWG cleaner for them?  I doubt that just turning them off will work, right, because they'll still be there?

I know that when I import a DWG file it can sometimes be messy and cluttered with some crazy layers (which I either just ignore or clean up), and it was just such a case with this job, which I'd originally imported from the same designer.  Now I've worked on it, made extensive changes and I'm sending it back to him and don't want it to be a mess.

I have to confess that I have never seen what happens when someone opens it 'on the other side'; I've only imported, not exported.  I know some of you work with multiple platforms so would love to know what works best.

PS - I have no idea what program they use unfortunately, but I suspect it's AutoCAD.

OK - so I went to delete specific layers, and the delete button is greyed out/unusable. 

I checked the knowledge base and it says you can't delete any of Chief's 'used' layers (which would be the only ones I'd want to delete) so apparently this is not something I can do?  I can delete HIS old layers, but none of mine.

I guess I will be sending along a multi-layered plan file and he'll just have to deal with it.

Send to layout then export each page as a DWG. Too bad you can't export all the pages at once.

I can't get that to work.  I tried with a project recently (sending to structural engineer) and nothing I could do made it so he could open the file.  Id say it was him, but then did this for the truss guy and same result.

Send to layout then export each page as a DWG. Too bad you can't export all the pages at once.

I recently did this for the first time and my engineer said it worked great.  I believe only the layers that are on are recorded.

post-4797-0-84234600-1461474700_thumb.jpg

When you export from layout it will be at whatever scale you had the layout view at. Can be hard to find when imported.

If you don't check off "export AutoCad index colors" and sending from a B & W layout you will get black lines. A lot of CAD users work on black backgrounds so can't see it.

Check to see what they want for lines and version ahead of time.

When in doubt I export to some prior version-for safety Release 14-then anyone can open it.

I always check the file before sending them off.

I use Turbocad Deluxe (cheap) for that -for Free you can get Double Cad which also imports and exports dwg/dxf just a version or two behind-not an issue for export. (no reason to be without some program that can handle dwg.)

If I sent from layout then I select all and resize it. I also check that I didn't miss and leave any layers locked. If they want white lines I change them there.

I often have to "Zoom to extents"  to see it, then save as.

Exporting 3D dwg doesn't work so well-lot of extra lines, surfaces get broken into polylines. Even 2D plans and elevations will have extra lines but they are layered on top of each other.

Perry, if you copy the items of layouts in to one layout sheet, not nessesary to put them in the printable sheet, but rather any where in that "all in one " layout. So this would allow you to export all at once, that would appear in his model space, and that is exactly how AutoCAD guys work on their model space and finally they rearrange to different layouts by creating view ports.

I can't get that to work.  I tried with a project recently (sending to structural engineer) and nothing I could do made it so he could open the file.  Id say it was him, but then did this for the truss guy and same result.

Most probably you may have missed to change the version of AutoCAD to the version that your friend uses. I usually export it as AutoCAD 2007 and older versions, so no complaint comes back. The other possible problem may be, if your friend isn't more familiar using AutoCAD, he should click "Z & ENTER" again "E & ENTER" or zoom extents to view the drawings on screen. Just a thought