Why is my ray trace fuzzy?

MeganKranz

There are a couple of things you can try. One is it needs more passes. Given the amount of fine detail you may need to give it more pixels to work with, try increasing the width and height by 2. If you are using Tone Mapping your pics will be softer, try turning this off to see the effect. Just keep in mind that Tone Mapping tries to correct for extreme lighting conditions so when you turn this off your lighting may need to be adjusted.

You can always post the plan and let us take a shot at it.

Graham

Ray tracing is not a science but rather an Art, which depends upon many changing variables per ray trace. It requires patience, study and practice and an intention on your part to get the look and product you find acceptable. It is never a "push button" type thing due to geometry and interplay of materials with light sources. It can be done but end user judgement comes from one's knowledge-responsibility and control of the tools.

DJP

• 10 months later...

Hello, 

I'm not sure if you're still having problems with this, but another solution is to increase the resolution of your ray trace.  Go to ray trace assistant, check off interior & high quality and then click next.  On the next page, check off 'units' instead of 'pixels' next to dimensions.  Next change your resolution from 72 to something higher.  I use 300 for very high quality renderings, but 150 also works very well.  Make sure the width and height remain at the size you want them at.  If you try to change the resolution before switching from 'pixels' to 'units' it will make your drawing size very small.  Please note: the higher the resolution, the longer the ray trace will take to complete (especially if there are a lot of reflective surfaces and/or lights).  This, along with allowing for multiple passes to complete, will help increase the quality of your renderings.  

Capture.JPG

On 2017-03-08 at 4:19 PM, sudhife said:

Hello, 

I'm not sure if you're still having problems with this, but another solution is to increase the resolution of your ray trace.  Go to ray trace assistant, check off interior & high quality and then click next.  On the next page, check off 'units' instead of 'pixels' next to dimensions.  Next change your resolution from 72 to something higher.  I use 300 for very high quality renderings, but 150 also works very well.  Make sure the width and height remain at the size you want them at.  If you try to change the resolution before switching from 'pixels' to 'units' it will make your drawing size very small.  Please note: the higher the resolution, the longer the ray trace will take to complete (especially if there are a lot of reflective surfaces and/or lights).  This, along with allowing for multiple passes to complete, will help increase the quality of your renderings.  

Capture.JPG

It's not a resolution problem. 

Whenver you see a badly speckled raytrace there is always a highly reflective surface or surfaces present.

This is why surfaces like chrome and stainless steel give raytraces so much problems as well. 

Before a raytrace, use the "rainbow tool" and check all surfaces for high reflection settings and tone them down until you improve speckling. 

Then if you're not satisfied because everything is too flat or not reflective enough you can go back and increase the reflection on that one central piece that you feel is necessary for the realism you're looking for.