Dormer Wall Issue

English

Go to solution Solved by dshall,

I have never discovered a good way to show dormer walls in plan that display correctly in elevation or 3D.  I have to pull the side wall into the room so that the 3D view shows a full wall but the the plan view is incorrect.  So to work around this issue I broke the side wall at the point it connects with the attic walls and then made that part of the wall invisible.  Now with invisible Walls turned off the plan is cleaned up but in 3D view the wall shows a break.  Is there anyway to get around this?
Thanks

Alan

First screen shot is a 3D view and the side wall looks fine but in the second shot the wall is too far into the room and should stop at the joint with the attic wall.  In the third shot I have broken the wall and made part of it invisible but as you can see it doesn't look right in 3D view.

post-8283-0-94608900-1461415025_thumb.pngpost-8283-0-86403300-1461415319_thumb.pngpost-8283-0-63194200-1461415334_thumb.png

I have never discovered a good way to show dormer walls in plan that display correctly in elevation or 3D.  I have to pull the side wall into the room so that the 3D view shows a full wall but the the plan view is incorrect.  So to work around this issue I broke the side wall at the point it connects with the attic walls and then made that part of the wall invisible.  Now with invisible Walls turned off the plan is cleaned up but in 3D view the wall shows a break.  Is there anyway to get around this?

Thanks

Alan

First screen shot is a 3D view and the side wall looks fine but in the second shot the wall is too far into the room and should stop at the joint with the attic wall.  In the third shot I have broken the wall and made part of it invisible but as you can see it doesn't look right in 3D view.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2016-04-23 at 8.32.23 AM.pngattachicon.gifScreen Shot 2016-04-23 at 8.32.33 AM.pngattachicon.gifScreen Shot 2016-04-23 at 8.33.17 AM.png

Somewhere I have done many videos on how to do this,  if you search DORMER VIDEOS BY DSH on you tube,  you may be able to find the vids.  I am  able to  do this.

Scott

I watched your video about a dormer with a barrel roof (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-R4up3OjWc) and I saw that you had the walls as "Roof Cuts Wall at Bottom" and then moved the dormer roof up one level and the walls below the roof line disappeared.  Well I did that and indeed in 3D view the dormer side walls in fact do stop at the roof plane but in plan view they are still looking like my second screen shot (and your second floor plan).  I just need for that portion of the side wall that is below the roof plane to not show in plan.

Alan

So you know, your sides for the "roof opening" doesn't match, so your conditions on "problem" side is different. I was trying to work with this, but I guess you can't break the line of a "roof opening"??? Seems odd, so i guess you need to re-draw that opening or use individual roof planes (which is what I do).

I was able to get the file working 90%+ but not being able to edit that roof opening threw me for a loop too.

post-75-0-71864700-1461457162_thumb.jpg

Eric

I somehow missed your comment (and Scotts) about putting that portion of the wall in the attic (I thought he moved the roof plane to the attic DUH).  I tried that and it worked like a treat.  Now I can go back and fix the dormers on my other plans.  What I was doing was to pull those side walls into the room so they looked okay in elevation -- print that elevation then pull them back to where they looked fine in plan and print that.  Now I know how to fix it, it'll save me a bunch of time.

Thanks guys

Alan

BTW is there a set of key presses to move something up or down a level?  I seem to remember Scott doing that to move those walls.

• 5 months later...