Attic wall - dutch gable

johnny

When you build an attic wall for a dutch gable condition, the reality is that "wall" is typically just plywood/siding on a gable end truss.  Unless I am missing it, I can't see a way to accurately get this condition in CA....the wall appears a requirement for Chief.

However, the problem with a wall is when you go to do your truss and framing it just doesn't work well - since the connections are difficult to control.  I get trusses that aren't correct.  Before posting the plan file I guess i'll ask the question - is there a way to get a gable wall face on a dutch gable to be accurately modeled and framed? 

post-75-0-64193900-1461379324_thumb.jpg

I think I solved the issue. I just made an end truss, selected the profile, made CAD detail, made a ploly solid to represent the ply/siding and copied back into the plan. It worked, and got my wall out of there that was messing up other aspects of the "attic space". Maybe someone has a better idea, but this did work.

I also thought about doing a wall material region but thought the poly-solid was simple enough.

I have been defining gable walls as having a 1.5" framing layer; a 7/16" or 1/2" sheathing layer; a weather barrier (house wrap); and an exterior finish (siding) layter for many years now.  For some plans, I have seen truss designers make the first full trusses (such as for a Dutch gable) as a 2-ply truss.  For my roof truss framing plans, I typically just have a single gable truss for designs with Dutch hip roofs.  In 1999 I helped build an ICF house with a Dutch gable roof and the truss manufacturer's design included 2-ply gable trusses.  The trusses for that project were 60 feet wide for most of the roof.

Johnny,

Why not just use a thin wall for your plywood/siding and then a truss behind.

The wall should auto cut to fit the roof.

Not a bad idea - I will try that too.  Perhaps the thin wall would better stay in its place.  My biggest issue with the walls was they were making my "attic" profile wonky so the trusses weren't shaping correctly.  I'll try and thin wall.