Hi X8 Gurus! Challenge: Faux Buttress to create - What's the best way?

Greenster

Hello X8 Gurus!

I have a challenge for you...

I'm curious to know if you have any ideas on how to create a faux buttress that only is attached to the exterior of the building (as part of a renovation) but DOES NOT protrude into the building.  I call it a "Faux Buttress", because it is not functioning as a buttress, but merely providing a design element.  The height is about 20' and the width is 2'.  It follows the contour of the exterior surfaces of the building.  It is a simple 2x4 construction with a rock pattern veneer on it.  No extra load on roof needing any S.E. work.  For the parts that sit on the roof, the flashing and meeting of the 2x4 construction and the existing roof are to be matched, keeping the current aesthetic, systems and materials.  (Which are pretty standard ones on the existing.)

I have had two different ways taught to me as to how to create it best.  I'd like it to integrate into the Schedules, but that does sound pretty hard to do.  I have also had another person say that simply using polylines to create it, are best.  But if that is the best way to do it, then how to create it the best way there, is my question.  Currently, it bleeds down in the the interior, so I am not sure how the last guy did it, but it is not right.

Thus the request for your thoughts on how to do this best.

Thank you,

Greenster

post-8193-0-73148900-1461268702_thumb.jpg

post-8193-0-49255600-1461268744_thumb.jpg

post-8193-0-10679300-1461268966_thumb.jpg

It would really help to see some sort of picture, screenshot, or plan to illustrate what you're talking about.  If I understand correctly, I don't see where the problem is or why there is a protruding into the building issue.  Sounds pretty simple.  Can you give us some visuals or a plan file?

• Upvote 1

Sorry about that!  First time user to this forum... I had thought it was uploaded, but alas, it wasn't!  I uploaded another 2 screenshots, too.  The middle is a similar finished faux buttress that we want to do something like.  -Thanks!

You have to forgive us veteran users, to a new user what you have to do might seem daunting. But it is merely a straight forward thing to design. What it looks like when finished is more important than how it is modeled (there are usually more than just one way to model (portray) something. Your "buttress" could be just three or four walls, except of the presence of the fireplace so I think I would use a combination of custom poly-line solids for the fireplace in combination with masonry walls. The part of the buttress that extends above the roof would probably end up being slabs or poly-line solids.

The exact steps cannot be described in a few sentences rather it is a combination of techniques and objects to emulate this outcome.

DJP

I 3rd (or 4th or 5th) using walls.  I think I would use 2 separate walls or 2 GROUPS of walls (which I believe would fix the "protrude into the building" issue you mentioned)...  One wall (or room) on the main level and one at the attic level.  As I believe Joey was talking about, you just need to break and reshape the upper wall section to sit on top of your roof.  Should be quite easy. 

EDIT:  On second thought.  You can probably just set the upper wall sections to Roof Cuts Wall at Bottom and you won't even have to break the walls at all.