Everyone Got The new Update?

HumbleChief

There's a new ability to show the Roof Overhangs separately from the Roof Planes.  This is done via Layer display.

It seems that not displaying the Roof Planes Layer but displaying the "Roof, Overhang Area" still shows the Roof Planes but suppresses the Roof Labels.  Can anyone confirm that?  Is this really working as intended?

There's a new ability to show the Roof Overhangs separately from the Roof Planes.  This is done via Layer display.

It seems that not displaying the Roof Planes Layer but displaying the "Roof, Overhang Area" still shows the Roof Planes but suppresses the Roof Labels.  Can anyone confirm that?  Is this really working as intended?

I can show roof planes separate from overhangs.  So you are missing something.  

However,  when I think of a roof overhang,  I think it is from fascia to exterior wall,  that is not what I am seeing.

Red dashed is the Overhang,  Blue dash is the roof eaves,

Roof overhangs are  still useless to me unless someone can explain them to me,

post-50-0-72997200-1461172515_thumb.png

Scott,

Yes, I get the same results you do.  But I would expect that if I turn off "Roof Planes" that I should only see the "Eave Line" as the "Roof Overhang Area".  That's not what happens.  I still have "Hips", "Valleys" & "Ridges" displayed.

So I consider this a basically worthless feature.

I had to use the overhang layer once to get the square footage of them for lot coverage . got it from the materials list.

I get this,  but for some reason the roof overhang I was using in my example actually went over the deck.  Point is,  some inconsistencies.

Then I presume you know what they are used for ? please enlighten us--bro.

No. I don't know either. I do know how I might use them though. There are definitely times when I'd like to show the overhangs and general roof outline without cluttering up the rest of my plan view with unnecessary roof planes.

I'm sure somebody needed them for something or else they wouldn't of gone through the trouble of setting up the new functionality.

However,  when I think of a roof overhang,  I think it is from fascia to exterior wall,  that is not what I am seeing.

My Roof Overhangs display from the fascia to the Roof Baseline.

This is what I am seeing with roofs turned off.

But I could do this in X7, so I don't know what has changed.

Yes, I get the same results you do.  But I would expect that if I turn off "Roof Planes" that I should only see the "Eave Line" as the "Roof Overhang Area".  That's not what happens.  I still have "Hips", "Valleys" & "Ridges" displayed.

Joe,

I am not getting this.

post-106-0-88243900-1461202368_thumb.jpg

The roof overhang is not a new feature and has been in the program for many many versions.  The only thing addressed in this update was some lost functionality in X8 where you could not display the overhang area layer separately from the roof plane layer, which you could do in X7 and prior. 

• 1 month later...