X8 Assertion Failed

mrscott

Hello gang!

After many months I am back to drawing again. Feels like starting over sometimes especially when the errors and crashes start. After renewing my SSA and switching to X8, I began preparing a plan portfolio in Layout. Using various Annotation & Layer Sets along with Cameras, "Sent to Layout" the shots. That is when the "Assertion Failed" DBX reared is ugly head (See Attached).

I thought by saving the camera under the same name as the image (i.e. Exterior Perspective - North Side) and allowing X8 to auto update the image whenever I made changes to the plan would be a cool way to keep my data current. After experiencing the DBX several times, and hitting the ABORT button, X8 will not start. Only the attached BDX comes up. Any ideas? X7 still works so I hope to continue working there until this issue is resolved.

System

Dual Xeon 24 Threads

32 GM Ram

2 TB SSD Drive

NVideo 980

4 - 24" ASUS HDMI Monitors

Thank everyone!

Scott Menard

Sea Isle Design Group

scott@seaisledesigngroup.com

post-5149-0-22236800-1460812950_thumb.png

I do not say this in a mean spirited way but there is nothing wrong with your PC, the specs look great. I occasionally get a crash mainly because I use X8 many hours per day. I have never experienced what you describe. What Perry and Joe have advised is valid and you should make sure that your main video card is the one being used by Chief and not some integrated support build into the mother board. I suppose some kind of malware could be a factor and you should check for that. What I have observed from my experience helping new users through learning the software is that many problems are generated by the new user. It is a humbling realization but I have observed that a majority of problems experienced by newer users is caused by never learning the software properly in the first place, guessing as to what is right procedure instead of learning such from the Reference Manual and User's Guide. Those publications usually gather dust and are only referred to as a last resort. 

I am not saying you are in this category but I am suggesting you be honest with yourself. Most of the problems we all experience in Life are self-generated.

DJP

After experiencing the DBX several times, and hitting the ABORT button, X8 will not start. Only the attached BDX comes up

This is not clear to me.

Do you get the assertion message when you try to launch X8 without opening a new or existing plan?

If so, then you either have a bad installation or system related problem.  In this case I would first try uninstalling and then reinstalling the program.

Do you only get the assertion when you are trying to open a particular plan or layout file?

Then the most likely problem is that the plan or layout file is corrupt in some way.  It is also possible that you have found a bug in the program.  In either case, you should report this problem to technical support so that we can look into it further.  If this is a bug, it may already be fixed in the soon to be available update but if not we would want to try and get a fix into the next available update.  If the problem is a corrupted file, then we would still like to see if we can improve the program so that this file could be opened without crashing the program.

Regardless of whether the file is corrupt or there is a bug in the program, you probably won't be able to open it in your version of X8.  You may want to look for a backup version of the file that does not have this problem. 

For additional help, you may wish to contact technical support on Monday during normal business hours.

Dermot,

I've seen this with an onboard Intel GPU - especially in Windows 10.  It could be that even though he as an NVidea GPU it might not be in control.  The chances are that after the Assertion Failure Chief was left open.  If that's the case there are a couple of ways to fix it:

1.  Open the Task Manager and End Chief X8.

2.  Open the NVidea Control Panel and make sure the PhysX is set to use his 760 GTX.

3.  Shut Down and Restart.

4.  Maybe all of the above.

Guys,

Thanks again for all your support. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling and received the same error DBX when attempting to start X8. The version I used to install is "Chief_Architect_Premier-18.1.0.41-Win64". What was interesting when I attempted the reinstall was it did not ask me where I wanted to install X8. Also, is there a way to ensure ALL associated files with X8 are deleted from my PC (I've already safely stored my X8 plans), so I can get a true "Fresh" install?

Thanks again,

Chief files can not be opened in previous versions.

It's still not clear to me whether or not the problem you are having is with a particular plan or the problem is trying to run X8.  Obviously you were able to run X8 previously otherwise you could not have saved the plan in X8.  If you are trying to launch X8 by opening the problem plan, then this could still indicate that the problem is the plan and not the program.

Can you launch X8 without opening any plan or layout files?

If not, how are you trying to launch X8?

Chief files can not be opened in previous versions.

It's still not clear to me whether or not the problem you are having is with a particular plan or the problem is trying to run X8.  Obviously you were able to run X8 previously otherwise you could not have saved the plan in X8.  If you are trying to launch X8 by opening the problem plan, then this could still indicate that the problem is the plan and not the program.

Can you launch X8 without opening any plan or layout files?

If not, how are you trying to launch X8?

I am attempting to launch X8 from the shortcut and not the plan file. X8 will not boot period. only thing that happens is the DBX Assertion Failed comes up and I hit abort.

Uninstalled and reinstalled "Chief_Architect_Premier-18.1.0.41-Win64" with same results.

What next?

Feel free to call 832-677-7001

can you be sure that the icon on desktop refers to the latest install? I had a reinstall and had to place a new shortcut as the old one did not work. R click on the exe file and choose send to desktop as a shortcut.

I feel your frustration, is it possible to do a repair installation? as you can with other cad programs. It definitely sounds like an installation problem now.  best of luck.

Verify that your shortcut is correct as per Graeme's suggestion above.

It is possible that one of your data files that does not get uninstalled is corrupted (things like template files, toolbars, custom libraries, etc.).  Find your Chief Architect X8 Data folder under your My Documents folder.  Rename this folder to something else.  When you launch X8, it will automatically copy the default templates, toolbars, and other files from the install folder.

If that doesn't work, then I would try a virus scan.  Not likely, but always a possibility.

Also, if you have not rebooted since you first started having problems, do this now.  When all else fails, always reboot.

If none of this solves your problem, then I can only suggest that you call tech support on Monday morning.  They are much better at diagnosing these kinds of things then I am.

Dermot,

Steps to resolve X8 not starting...

1. Ensure X8 plans and Archives are stored in a safe place
  2. Search "This PC" and renaming everything that contains "Chief Architect Premier X8" to "Orig_Chief Architect Premier X8"
  3. Re-Read the "chief-architect-x8-download-and-installation-instructions.pdf" & "chief-architect-x8-migration-guide.pdf"
  4. Run the install version 18.1.0.41-Win64
  5. Path: G:\Program Files\Chief Architect\Chief Architect Premier X8 (64 bit)\ (my SSD Drive)
  6. Install all necessary support files
  7. Entered my License
  8. Eureka! It works now.
  9. Downloaded Catalog completed with errors. (Not sure how to determine what the error is. Help?

Going to make sure my filing system is congruent with CA recommendations.

"Eureka! It works now."

I'm glad that worked. 

Regarding problems with downloading the core libraries, you might want to take a look at this help article which explains how to manually download and install them:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-02899/manually-installing-core-catalogs-for-chief-architect-premier.html

And again, if you continue to have problems, I would encourage you to contact tech support tomorrow.

The problem lies in my lack of drug be space on my C:\. It's only a 128GB SSD and I don't want to redo my OS again with a larger drive. Chief will not allow redirect of certain files so I had to remove several programs including X7. Will attempt a fresh C8 install later this AM and hopefully all the catalogs will install.

Scott:

If you are interested in an easy way to migrate your computer installation to a new (larger) SSD without having to reinstall Windows and all your applications, I would recommend the free software "Macrium Reflect". You can find it here: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

I used this software to accomplish replacing my C:\ drive (SSD) with a larger one (128GB to 256GB), and also to save an image of my PC in case I need to restore it. It works like this: run the program and save an image (a snapshot) of your current C:\ drive. Save this to a different hard drive (not C:\) if possible - this can be an internal hard drive or an external hard drive. Create a boot disc (CD ROM or Blu-ray) with the Macrium Reflect software. Remove your 128GB SSD and set it aside. Install the new, larger SSD. Boot your computer with the rescue disc (it will load Windows PE so you can use the Macrium program). "Restore" your image to the new SSD from the drive where you saved your image file.  Now your computer is restored to its previous condition, but on the larger hard drive. No need to reinstall Windows, applications, or change any settings back to how you like them - they are all there.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Samsung's SSD's come with a software that does that same thing. It's really pretty easy. You simply clone your existing drive to the SSD and then install it. OR, you can install it first and then clone it. I think I t's just a little more complicated to shuffle the drives around and change BIOS settings that way.

• Upvote 1

Chief will not allow redirect of certain files

This has been a PITA with Chief since I started in 2004

For Chief 9.5 and ver 10 I fought the fight and tried having Chief installed on

a portable USB harddrive

yet, everytime I had an issue of any kind tech support whined and cried and blamed

me for using an external HD

I had all my other software on the external and working fine

but CA considered it "taboo"

with X1 I gave up the fight and let chief install where it wants to :(

user choice of installation location became "standard" back in the 90's

but not Chief :(

Lew