Walkthrough Videos & Stairs

Chopsaw

Hi There,

I am currently working on a video walkthrough tour of a four level building that has the Chief developers stumped as to why the camera will not consistently go up and down the four sets of stairs in my plan.

So I thought it might be a problem with my plan and while I am waiting for an answer back from Chief I have downloaded the X8 Modern Bungalow plan as used in training video #10033: https://video.chiefarchitect.com/?search=10033 and,   sure enough,the same problems are occurring there. I was able to get the camera to climb the stairs as described in the video but no luck going down.

If there is anyone who has mastered this move, I would love to hear from you.  Not too worried about the details as I know how to shoot a single level video, just need to get downstairs again.

Please see failed attempt in attached Plan.

X8 Modern Bungalow walkthrough test.zip

I ran the video walkthrough you posted and it ran perfectly on my PC. The model was not perfect (z fighting, coffered ceilings and other 3D modeling errors) but ran smoothly from first floor to the second floor. So 1. I doubt that "Chief Developers are stumped..." other than perhaps them, like me do not know what you are talking about. or 2. It may be that the weakness is in your own hardware rather than in Chief software.

DJP

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post David,

Chief has been working on my inquiry since the middle of February and they still do not have an answer for me. Yes perhaps they do not understand my problem as I am not so sure you do.

I have downloaded and am testing in a CA sample plan to eliminate the possibility of a design deficiency. The walkthrough that I posted is a tour going in the front door and going up the stairs and around the second floor. The camera is stuck at the top of the stairs where I would like to go down and finish the tour of the rest of the main floor.

So my problem is I cannot make the camera descend the stairway to continue the tour.

Chop,

I repeat that I did not have that problem in my test run through. I understand that you did not. Did you really submit a ticket to Tech Support and did they respond that "they were stumped"? Anyway, I took the time to look and reported what I saw. Sorry you are having a difficulty.

DJP

• 4 months later...

so Chopsaw. i played your video clip and it is fine going up the stairway but yes it deos not go down. so i added an extra to the end of the video to continue down but there do not want to join.

so yes, it seems like there is a problem going back down after going up

• 1 month later...

Ok then, this has taken a while but I have finally found a practical workaround.  CA says that this could potentially be fixed for the release of X9 but until then and for those of you that are using older versions.

The problem being that CA seems to have only provided for one camera attachment point to a set of stairs.  Once I figured this out the solution was easy.....  provide a second set of stairs.  So because two staircases do not always want to occupy the same space the second copy must be placed on a separate layer. Select the stairs and use the "Copy and Paste in Place" tool and then go directly to "Open Object" and create a new layer. Run your camera path the first direction and then switch layer sets to go the other way.

I will post the CA Modern Bungalow Plan that I used for testing and also a rough proof of concept video that I made for tech support and now for you. Please excuse the missing textures and various artifacts of this old X5 CA sample plan.

Hoping this will help people who want to do a walkthrough video that documents the complete structure and also those who have not yet taken up video editing and need to do a single take recording.  I have presented several simple videos of similar quality to clients and they are always quite pleased and excited needing to watch over and over again then show their friends. 

X8 Modern Bungalow walkthrough test (2).zip

good mate, glad you found a solution. i have a video that goes around the building and then up stairs, but once at the top of the stairs, i used a second walk-through and so on to get to the 3/4/5 floors, i would post the video but it is 3.1 GB.

if CA could tell me how to present this video, then it could be interesting for others to see.

good mate, keep going, and have fun.