cad file

chief58

I have someone that wants a cad file of just there foundation other then exporting the foundation plan is there any particular steps I need to take for this, it is for his surveyor to pin his foundation for digging

Thank you

Scaling depends upon whether you are exporting from Plan or Layout. Layout is 1:1 paper space - Not model space... that means that a foot gets shrunk to an 1/8", etc.

I'm working in Metric these days. DWG export has a bunch of limitations with my current project:

• Line styles are not exporting - that is dashed, dotted lines all become solid
  • Rich Text notes are hit and miss - AutoCAD doesn't get all of what Chief exports. Stick with old fashioned plain text for annotations; avoid Rich Text.
  • Patterned areas will export as black fill. This is mostly a problem where you use Filled Shapes using screen background colour - such as filled footing shapes. AutoCAD will see them all as black fills
  • Exporting from Layout (paper space / drawings) has a lot of quirks. Plans sent to Layout at 1:100, export from Layout best by choosing dm or m as the unit of measure. Millimetres used for export produce a dwg file that is scaled way too small and some thin lines disappear.
  • If you need to export a Layout drawing and it has problems: try CAD > CAD Detail from View while in Layout and then export that. This process tends to strip complex elements down to more basic ones that will export more correctly.
  • Text justification may be a problem. Check for your text notes moving.
  • To validate my dwg exports, I use Autodesk DWG TrueView 2016 - it is a free download from Autodesk

For surveyors, use the unit that they work in. In metric, architects uses millimetres; surveyors often use metres.... we have to scale their dwg drawings up by a thousand, and vice versa for them.

If you have success or failure, please leave a note on this forum.

Cheers,

Ian

Ian,

Not sure your correct in all your statements concerning what is exported at least from our experience. Line types do stay for the most part..... dashed, dotted etc. Pattern area's are also exported as a whole...... (if the pattern comes in black usually just means scale of pattern needs to be adjusted). Text remains justified and Rich Text Exports. We never export from Layout other than as a PDF.

Blessings,

kevin