Layers, layer sets, anno sets

SNestor

I have a question more focused on general practice as it relates to layers...and possibly layer sets.  When I learned to draft plans...it was with a pencil...so, my experience with "Cad" drafting is self taught.  I'm sure it's mostly a personal preference...but, I'm asking just to make sure there isn't a specific Cad standard practice that I may not be aware of.  

Do you generally use colors in what I would call a "working" layer set to identify objects?  The picture I have attached is using the "camera view set"...and in vector view in shows different objects in there own unique color.

Also...would you send a view like this to layout...if so, how would it print?  I guess my second question is...do you typically send views to layout where all the object colors are black...or some degree of black?  I'm wondering if you send a view to layout with a multitude of colors...how will the final plans plot?  Does a blue line plot more like a dark gray?  

I guess this leads to an annotation set question.  Would you create uniques anno sets to control layer sets that are specifically designed for layout final views?  These layer sets would provide consistent views to layout...where you would know the final printed outcome.  

Hopefully my question is clear...I realize I'm rambling just a bit.  

post-227-0-33017500-1460471569_thumb.png

The whole point of layers, layer sets and anno sets is efficiency and productivity. Organization of objects is the key to setting up page views that clearly communicate graphic data by page type. Color or the lack there of is an aesthetic personal choice. Color printing is more expensive to produce, black and white is more economical and is widely accepted. Whether you use color or not is a personal aesthetic choice, shaded by the users own sense of "right". You should do what is right for you based upon your own reality.

DJP

I use Anno-sets for just about everything, including a special separate anno-sets for wall elevations and all exterior elevations. I also use colors on the dark side for grayscale printing, light colors will tend to print too light. to test it just turn off the color icon and see. You also need to have "Color off is Grayscale" in preferences. I also print to PDF in color so when actually printed to paper in grayscale it look good, and the homeowner likes color better. One more thing , if you use live views, you won't get the special line weights to make your elevations "Pop", use "plot lines" to get the line weights you want, I have no idea where the line weight come from using live views.

Same here...

I work in color, but use anno/layer sets to send everything to layout in b/w or gray scale.

Joey...that pretty much answers my question.  Now I know why all the colors in the layer sets I'm using (they came from you).  I sure the colors help when working with a black background.  Not sure they are all needed when working with a white background.  

Ok...follow up question.

I understand that I may want to use unique layer sets (which are tied to specfic anno sets) that will assign all line weights and colors for each view sent to layout.  However, the color of walls are not controlled by layer sets.  I find using color to distinguish uniques walls helpful but for a view sent to layout I'd like the walls to be black...or shades of gray?  If so, this would mean opening each line type and changing the color before sending the view to layout.  This process doesn't sound logical...so, I'm fairly sure this isn't a common practice.  

Do most of you send floor plans to layout with the walls in color...or black?   

... I sure the colors help when working with a black background.  Not sure they are all needed when working with a white background.  

That's what I found. When I switched over from AutoCAD, I was used to all the colors and created a 'working' layerset with everything in different colors, but I don't even use it anymore now that I'm used to working on a white background. 95% of the time, I just work directly in my 'print' layerset with everything black or grey. I have color in my framing plans to distinguish different types of joists, beams, trusses, etc., but that's it.

If so, this would mean opening each line type and changing the color before sending the view to layout.  This process doesn't sound logical...so, I'm fairly sure this isn't a common practice.  

You're correct. There's no way to control the wall fill colors with layersets. I made a suggestion a while back that it would be nice if there was an 'alternate fill' column in the wall definition dbx. Then we could assign a 2nd fill, which would be on a different layer than the primary fill color, and thus be able to control the fill with our layersets. Until then, you could use Joey's method (all walls grey... or whatever color you prefer), or use fill colors that look different on screen, but look the same/similar when printed in greyscale. I would avoid changing the fill color before printing, especially if you have several wall types in a plan. 

You don't have to send to layout with all your layer-sets lines in grayscale, you just print pdf or plotter to paper in grayscale. All the colors will turn to grayscale automatically. No reason to change all the lines color. Make sure the colors you use are grayscale friendly.

You don't have to send to layout with all your layer-sets lines in grayscale, you just print pdf or plotter to paper in grayscale. All the colors will turn to grayscale automatically. No reason to change all the lines color. Make sure the colors you use are grayscale friendly.

Perry - thanks for that tip. I'm assuming some colors print better in grayscale than others. I'll have to experiment.

...I understand that I may want to use unique layer sets (which are tied to specfic anno sets) that will assign all line weights and colors for each view sent to layout. However, the color of walls are not controlled by layer sets. I find using color to distinguish uniques walls helpful but for a view sent to layout I'd like the walls to be black...or shades of gray? If so, this would mean opening each line type and changing the color before sending the view to layout. This process doesn't sound logical...so, I'm fairly sure this isn't a common practice...

I hadn't really been following this topic, but in reading through real quickly I'm not sure this issue was ever really addressed.

If I understand what you are saying, I think you might be missing some things. Wall lines CAN be controlled via layer sets. You just need to check By Layer here...post-46-0-72985000-1460569721_thumb.png

Wall FILLS are a bit of a different story, but you can actually control these by layer too by using either:

A. Build>Wall>Hatch Wall

OR

B. Setting the fill to "Use Layer Color" in the Layer Fill Style dbx. This would mean you could no longer control the walls line color via layer settings though unless you wanted them to be the same color as your fill.

I hadn't really been following this topic, but in reading through real quickly I'm not sure this issue was ever really addressed. 

If I understand what you are saying, I think you might be missing some things.  Wall lines CAN be controlled via layer sets.  You just need to check By Layer here...attachicon.gifLayer.png

Wall FILLS are a bit of a different story, but you can actually control these by layer too by using either:

A.  Build>Wall>Hatch Wall

OR

B.  Setting the fill to use "Use Layer Color" in the Layer Fill Style dbx.  This would mean you could no longer control the walls line color via layer settings though

unless you wanted them to be the same color as your fill.

Michael...you have done it.  This is exactly the answer I was looking for.  

If I set the wall fill to use the "layer" color...then each "layer set" can have it's own unique wall fill.  Bingo...this is what I was looking for.  Perry's method works also...so, I guess I need to experiment to see which works better for me.

Thanks!

post-227-0-61086000-1460575700_thumb.png

B. Setting the fill to "Use Layer Color" in the Layer Fill Style dbx. This would mean you could no longer control the walls line color via layer settings though unless you wanted them to be the same color as your fill.

Good point Michael. Now I remember I used this method on one project a few months ago! Never updated my template though!!

With this method, you can also play with the fill transparency to get a grey fill even if your layer is set to black.