Recessed wall shelf

Sweeney

Hello hello,

Trying to recess the upper part of this wall (highlighted in picture attached) to create a 8" - 12" deep self.  Cant figure it out. Do I have to move the upper section of the room to second floor and open to below to have control of that upper wall?

let me know if you've ever done this!

Thanks

Austin 

post-6822-0-88141200-1460465770_thumb.jpg

post-6822-0-26736200-1460465824_thumb.jpg

What you have selected is not a "wall" but it is a "ceiling plane", not that it cannot be done, it is just I have never tried to make a hole in a ceiling plane. I guess you could try to make a hole using a skylight set to "Hole in the roof" but as I mentioned I have never tired to do so since 1994. Once or if you get your rectangular hole you could then place a solid or poly-line solid object to emulate an insessed shelf. If the slanted ceiling object was a "wall" then other methods could then be employed but you are using a ceiling plane, not a wall.

DJP

David, the green highlighted area IS a wall. It is the upper wall in a pony wall. I did it so you could see which part I am trying to push back. They are the same wall type so you can't really tell. I attached another photo without it highlighted so it may be easier to see.

Jerry, I tried that too, however, that upper part of the wall is not actually the attic wall. The bedroom has a ceiling, making the attic wall above the collar ties of that bed room ceiling. 

its a real PITA haha

post-6822-0-45055000-1460478940_thumb.jpg

Attached is the plan

Didn't spend a whole lot of time with it as I'm working on some other things here, but I took a quick look. You can change that wall back to a normal wall (remove the pony wall definition), simply drag the wall down in elevation view, and uncheck Use Room Ceiling Finish in the roof plane dbx. You can then use a polyline solid or any other number of methods for the shelf itself.

There are other methods as well, but hopefully that at least gets you started down one possible path.