How do you change framing callouts

capitaldesigns

I'm new to Chief. I'm using X-8.

I'm working on my first house in Chief. I have 2 questions.

1. I see that Ceiling joists and rafters are called out as "joists"

Is there away to change the callout to read "ceiling joists" and

"rafters" instead of just joists?

2. If I create a separate ceiling framing plans and roof framing plan

how do I add notes to one plan without them showing up on the other plan?

Thanks,

Mike

"If I create a separate ceiling framing plans and roof framing plan

how do I add notes to one plan without them showing up on the other plan?"

I have an answer for number 2, Just put the notes on different layers then you can turn them on and off.

Mike are you referring to the joist direction arrows/callout? If you are you are basically stuck with what you see. I always have to put text box over. Would be nice if we could specify the label. That and I cringe when I see lowercase letters in plans...goes against everything we were taught lol.

post-3379-0-98710500-1460439244_thumb.jpg

Joe Carrick has created some macro's to do all of this automatically. Also framing members have a label box you can type anything you want there. Just select a floor or ceiling joists and look in the label box.

Thanks for the information. I have been an AutoCAD user since 1993. I been using an old version which is called Softdesk 8 or S8 as most users called it.

Fun that the new version of Chief is X8.

Coming from an AutoCAD background it's been difficult to make the transition to Chief. Many of the command names are very different then AutoCAD. 

The Copy command in AutoCAD is Replicate in Chief. Move command is Transform/Replicate in Chief. Change layer is Layer Painter in Chief. Offset

is Jump (that what I was told by tech. support) in Chief. Mirror is Reflect About in Chief. And if you try to look up offset (along with other AutoCAD

commands) in the Chief manual, your search comes up empty. I do not understand why Chief as decided to change their command names to be so

different then AutoCAD. The commands, copy, erase, move, offset, layer on, layer off, change layer, mirror seem to be self explanatory command names. 

The Chief commands you have to look up in the manual to understand what they actually do. Chief would get a lot more AutoCAD users to switch to Chief

if they used as many of the same command names as AutoCAD.

Thanks for the information. I have been an AutoCAD user since 1993. I been using an old version which is called Softdesk 8 or S8 as most users called it.

Fun that the new version of Chief is X8.

Coming from an AutoCAD background it's been difficult to make the transition to Chief. Many of the command names are very different then AutoCAD. 

The Copy command in AutoCAD is Replicate in Chief. Move command is Transform/Replicate in Chief. Change layer is Layer Painter in Chief. Offset

is Jump (that what I was told by tech. support) in Chief. Mirror is Reflect About in Chief. And if you try to look up offset (along with other AutoCAD

commands) in the Chief manual, your search comes up empty. I do not understand why Chief as decided to change their command names to be so

different then AutoCAD. The commands, copy, erase, move, offset, layer on, layer off, change layer, mirror seem to be self explanatory command names. 

The Chief commands you have to look up in the manual to understand what they actually do. Chief would get a lot more AutoCAD users to switch to Chief

if they used as many of the same command names as AutoCAD.

A few quick comments to clarify some things that I think you may not have been quite right about...

1.  Chief doesn't actually have a "replicate" tool.  It has Copy, Multiple Copy, and Copy/Paste In Place.  It does have a Transform/Replicate tool, but that is the name of a special dbx. containing a group of tools...one of which is Copy.

2.  Chief actually does have a Move tool.  If you open the Transform/Replicate tool it's in there.  It's labeled Move.  You can also simply drag the item using its Move handle, or you can grab the Move handle and hit tab.  You can also use the center mouse button on any of the edit handles to move an item.  Either way, the action is still called Move

3.  Chief has a number of tools you can use in place of Auto CAD's offset tool, but Jump is NOT one of them.  You can use any number of the Copy tools in conjunction with any number of the Move techniques or you can do so in Concentric edit mode (can be temporarily activated by holding down C).  You can set a Concentric Jump distance, but its NOT a jump tool. 

Also, Chief has both Reflect and Reflect About (which you mentioned) and they do have a different name than what you're used to, however in Chief's defense, I think they actually make more logical sense than 'Mirror". 

I know that there are commands in Chief that will let you do most of the routines AutoCAD does. It to bad that Chief decided on calling these commands a different name. 

When I first got the program I started looking up some commonly used commands in AutoCAD like offset, mirror, etc. I could not find those names in the manual. Little by

little I learned the commands by watching many on-line videos about one  thing or another. In those videos they would use a lot of the routines I was looking for  and the

name of those routines.

I still have a lot to learn. But what I have learned so far shows me that Chief X8 is far superior to the version of AutoCAD I have been using.

One of the greatest things I have found is the Chief Talk Forum. You guys have been a great help to all us newbies. Without your help the learning curve would be a

much greater amount of time. Just reading the question other have asked and the answers you have given have been a great help.

Thank  to everyone of you that has given your time to help us learn this great program.

Mike

Another approach that I was taught about notes is to keep them all on your layout pages. This keeps your drawings cleaner when editing. Also avoids the need to use extra layers for each view which can get confusing on a big job. If you want to try this just remember to always Send to layout as "Current Screen" this allows you to adjust your layout box borders,if necessary,without messing up your text and Leader Lines. If you want to have some notes appear on multiple views you could leave them on your drawings. Just something to try.