Tip for Exterior doors

Northriver

I design my exterior doors (In swing)to sit off the subfloor 1/2" to 3/4" (obviously supporting the threshold) depending on finish floor material at the door interior to compensate for thicker interior floor mats or area rugs that do not get hung up on the door sweep.

• Upvote 1

I design my exterior doors (In swing)to sit off the subfloor 1/2" to 3/4" (obviously supporting the threshold) depending on finish floor material at the door interior to compensate for thicker interior floor mats or area rugs that do not get hung up on the door sweep.

Not sure if that is a Chief related tip or construction related tip, but if it is the latter,  that's a really good idea.  Thanks!

• 2 years later...
On 4/11/2016 at 4:52 PM, Northriver said:

We need to insulate under that door, so I raise the door 1-1/2” off the plywood. I also lower the concrete landing outside by 3” to give enough space for a stone sill under the door frame.  

Montreal snow and winter precautions.