Roof Truss Problem

Joe_Carrick

OK, so here's my problem:

I have a house with 4"x8" exposed rafters @48" oc and a 2"x8" sub-fascia.  For the Garage I want to use Trusses but I want them to have 2x4 top chords and the then have the eaves and gable ends match the rest of the house.  When I create the trusses the bottom chord extends out to the sub-fascia.

Is there any way to get the trusses to stop at the exterior wall other than using 2 overlapping Roof Planes (one for the trusses and one for rafter tails)?  I would have thought there would be a way to create such a truss configuration.

What about setting your roof planes to no overhang, build your trusses, lock, and then put the overhang back to where you want? ...or there is a tool "truss base" that i've seen used in ways that could get you where you need.

There is most certainly a better way I am sure, but just suggesting ways I might go around that.

I think I may have misunderstood what you were trying to do Joe.  I originally thought maybe you were only trying to get rid of the extended portion of the bottom cord and leave the upper cord.  Now I'm realizing you were trying to chop the tails off entirely.  I think Jere's suggestion as well as manually adding your rafters as you said will work great. 

Depending on the complexity of the roof, one other thing you can consider doing instead of manually editing the trusses in section view is this...

Temporarily drag your roof plane back to the exterior wall, build your trusses, group select them, lock the truss envelopes, and then drag your overhang back out.  Could be a lot faster than manually editing a bunch of different truss profiles if the roof is really complex.