Dimensions/object

johnny

What you are "missing" is that Chief is not as smart as you might think. I often have to zoom in to precisely place or relocate a dimension point. Zooming in and patience is the key. You can also increase the "Edit Handle" size and change the 

Snap Distance setting (Edit Preferences - Edit - snap properties - snap distance input box" in pixels which can help as well.

DJP

PS: I watched your video after answering, I still stand by my original statement

• 4 weeks later...

I thought it was just me...

It truly is maddening that the program seemingly randomly decides to NOT snap to an object while dimensioning.

This happens especially in elevation or cross section views but also happens on occasion in floor plan views.

I need to close and reboot to correct.

I do love how how this program automatically generates floors, trim, ceilings, and finishes when drawing walls to enclose a room but quirks like this make me want to go back to Archicad sometimes. (just venting)

I guess there's a trade-off with every choice.

I would love to upgrade to X8 but knowing that this issue still persists, what's the point? Story poles and shaded elevations are not as attractive when the program still struggles with something so basic as dimensioning?

Dimensioning?!? In an architectural CAD program? Really?

Johnny,

I'm not 100% sure, as it is a little hard to see what you are clicking on at times. 

But, I did notice something that may be the cause of the problem.

One thing to be aware of is that if you already have a manual or auto dim to an object, Chief will not create a temp dim to that object.

I notice that you place your dim from the roof to the wall.

But, when you select the roof, you get a temp dim.

This would indicate to me that the End to End dim you placed isn't dimensioning to the roof, but perhaps some other object - otherwise, you wouldn't get the temp dim.

You will also note that when it does work, you don't get the temp dims - indicating that you have indeed dimensioned to the roof edge.

Give me a call if you want me to have a look over Skype.