Basement Exterior Stair Well

ArtisanDeck

Go to solution Solved by DRAWZILLA,

I am trying to build a set of exterior stair from the basement. They have foundation walls on all sides with a slab under it. The basement will be a daylight with windows added later.

To create the walls at half height I set the Pony wall setting with the upper wall as a "room divider". This looks correct in the 3d view but now i can't add a railing around the top of the foundation wall.

I tried defining the top half of the pony wall as a railing but then the whole 3d image drops into the ground and doesn't look correct.

Has anyone built these before? Please view the 3d image and 7x plan set.

Stair well practice.pdf

Stair well practice.plan

Stair well practice wall type railing Image.pdf

Yep that worked!

First I created the basement room with foundation walls.

Next I lowered the room height to a little above grade.

Then on 1st level plan view I selected to view other levels outlines and drew the new railing above the lower foundation walls.

Thanks for setting me in the right direction Perry!

Stair well Correct-Full Camera Image.pdf

Stair well Correct.plan

Jerry

You are right, we are in a frost zone so the walls would need to be another 36" deeper than the bottom of the stair well. I think it would also need a floor drain connected to a pump or the basement could flood during heavy rains.

Thank you for pointing that out.

One of my current projects has a new walk-out to be cut in for a basement apartment. We have 48" frost line here, so have to go deep as well as underpin and insulate with rigid foam. You definitely will need to have drainage..would fail inspection here without drainage instantly.

post-3379-0-39144600-1460438357_thumb.jpg post-3379-0-25947000-1460438371_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2